Beginner questions regarding Sennheiser HD-598 and possible Amp/Dac
Aug 7, 2013 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Chemix

New Head-Fier
I'm just starting my journey into the audiophile universe and seeing about having some advice and questions answered. My 598 will be arriving in the mail tomorrow and I have intention of burning in my headphones for at least a month or two, prior to making a decision about expading on.

I've done quite a bit of reading on the forums here with swings and misses on acquring an amp with the possibility of a dac or vice versa. The way that I've taken into account is it's not really needed, and if you so choose to get one the prefered choice would be FiiO E9. It would be running off of a 2008 HP laptop with an on-board soundcard. If the genre of music helps to pick a sound decision I listen mainly to Drum and Bass and various EDM. 

Here's where some slight embarassment comes into play: Is their any cables or cords I would need to buy additionally on top of the E9? I cant really determine if the equipment already comes in the box and ready to use from the get go, considering I may not purchase the E7 to go with it. I'm fully aware that it doesnt provide a night and day upgrade, but considering I'm 5 years obsolete would it make much of an impact to the quality none the less?

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
I'm just starting my journey into the audiophile universe and seeing about having some advice and questions answered. My 598 will be arriving in the mail tomorrow and I have intention of burning in my headphones for at least a month or two, prior to making a decision about expanding on.
I've done quite a bit of reading on the forums here with swings and misses on acquring an amp with the possibility of a dac or vice versa. The way that I've taken into account is it's not really needed, and if you so choose to get one the prefered choice would be FiiO E9. It would be running off of a 2008 HP laptop with an on-board sound card. If the genre of music helps to pick a sound decision I listen mainly to Drum and Bass and various EDM. 
Here's where some slight embarassment comes into play: Is their any cables or cords I would need to buy additionally on top of the E9? I cant really determine if the equipment already comes in the box and ready to use from the get go, considering I may not purchase the E7 to go with it. I'm fully aware that it doesn't provide a night and day upgrade, but considering I'm 5 years obsolete would it make much of an impact to the quality none the less?

Chance are the laptop comes with a really low cost DAC chip.
The Fiio E9/E09K have way more power then the 50-Ohm HD598 could ever take advantage of.
So you might consider getting an external USB - DAC - Headphone amplifier.
Both NuForce and Fiio sell USB/DAC/Amps for under $100.

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the advice! One last question. Unless I upgrade my headphones or a computer that accepts 6.3mm output will I have to stick with the 3.5mm adapter for the usb DAC's?

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 9
Aug 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Chance are the laptop comes with a really low cost DAC chip.
The Fiio E9/E09K have way more power then the 50-Ohm HD598 could ever take advantage of.
So you might consider getting an external USB - DAC - Headphone amplifier.
Both NuForce and Fiio sell USB/DAC/Amps for under $100.

Agreed.

The E17 is $105 on Amazon at the moment. That's a great deal for a DAC/amp :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 9
E17 sounds like a perfect match for the 598 :D. I'm perfectly fine with using the adapter that came in the box, but will a produced cable for this instance (the one you linked to ebay) make any difference to quality? Id assume its more along the lines of personal prefrence, rather than a true upgrade.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
E17 sounds like a perfect match for the 598 :D. I'm perfectly fine with using the adapter that came in the box, but will a produced cable for this instance (the one you linked to eBay) make any difference to quality? Id assume its more along the lines of personal preference, rather than a true upgrade.

I would not think of that cable I linked to as an "upgrade", I do like to think it makes the amplifier (E17) connection less "bulky", little easier to work with.

Grado makes a 6" long cable adapter, 1/4" F to 1/8" m, that sells for $15.
The cable I linked to comes in 1.2m, 1.5m & 1.8m lengths, cost $15-$18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back