Beginner question :[
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

solessthanthree

100+ Head-Fier
I just set up my Zero and am using a usb>optical to run it from my computer. This might be a dumb question but is it normal for my headphones to work only when I have constant sound running (such as a music/movie)? Whenever I start some media, the Zero makes a clicking noise and when I stop, it makes another one as if it's powering up/down. The sound is fine when there's constant sound going through, but if it's silent and I get some kind of quick noise like a notification, it just skips it or makes a scratchy staticy sound. Is there a way to bypass this or at least make the Zero 'on' at all times so that I get sound at all times?

Also, I was wondering if there was a way that I could power down the Zero and switch to using my computer's soundcard as the source without having to restart. Thanks in advance :]

Edit: Ah! got it all figured out thanks again guys
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 7
The Zero simply can't make sound when its not receiving an audio signal.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by scaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol....

indeed.jpg

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 7
I believe the sound you hear is from a internal relay of Zero. The relay is turned on whenever an optical signal is detected. You are getting this partially because of the usb to optical converter you are using. Apparently it completely shut itself down when there is no audio signal going through. One of my PCI sound card does this too. The other usb sound dongle I have maintains the signal stream even there is nothing to play (all zeros?), so it does not cause Zero to click.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back