Beginner looking for a great pair of "all-around" headphones (max budget 500$~)
Jun 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:
Have you tried the HD25i-II? How does it perform if compared to the MDR-1R?

I've  seen the ue6000, what do you think about them?

Unfortunately I haven't tried either the hd25 or the ue600. I do know that the hd25 is indestructible (everything is modular and all th eparts are replaceable). I think it has more of a v-shaped sound, as oppposed to the 1R which is the opposite.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #34 of 47
I wouldn't say bassy as hell, unless you're used to a very cold, analytical sound. They sound very neutral compared to Beats or XB500 lol. But they do have a healthy boost in the bass, probably 8 db or so, which is perfect for portable use. For sit-down listening in a quiet environment, I prefer more neutral.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:
Thanks. So, the final comparison. Hd25i II or MDR-1R?

1R. It's simply the best all around portable headphone out there for under $350.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #38 of 47
I've owned them both. The HD25 is a fun can, very punchy bass, good layering, slightly recessed mids, and highs are very sparkly. It's an aggressive headphone and it isolates better than the 1R.

Having said that, the 1R has it completely beat in soundstage. The HD25s are very constricted sounding while the 1R is much more spacious. Mids  on the 1R are more forward and the overall tonality of the headphone is more warm and colored while the HD25 is a bit cooler and slightly more lean. The 1R has a very lush sound. HD25 has punchier more impactful bass and decent extension. Highs are more sparkly. The 1R is pretty balanced and enjoyable with decent sparkle and PRaT. I think they're both great all-rounders TBH.  

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:
Thank you everybody, I'm thinking of buying the 1Rs. I've heard that the jack on the eaecup doesn't lock and makes some noise when turned. is that true?

I've seen other's report this issue, but it's extremely random. My copy and a co-worker's copy are completely free of this issue. My thought is it once existed, but has now been addressed by Sony. Even if you get a pair with the issue, it's very easily fixable.

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #42 of 47
My pair had that issue but it wasn't that noticeable and I never felt the quality was compromised. Never felt like the connection for example was fragile or likely to break - it was connected just fine.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:
Mmm, that is quite a deal breaker to me. Speaking about the HD25s, how do they perform compared to the MM 450, since I can get them for the same price?

It's a non-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back