Beginner looking for a great pair of "all-around" headphones (max budget 500$~)
May 31, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #16 of 47
I see. Thank you very much! I had already checked out the Momentums and the 1Rs, and I'd say I'm thorn between these two. The momentums are a bit pricey for me, as they cost 100 euros more than the 1Rs. From the link that you gave me, I think the Momentums are the best for this price tag, and the most durable. Are these comparable to the 1Rs or you suggest that I wait a little more and grab the Sennheiser ones?

Consider that I'm not an audiophile, and I'm not looking for perfect neutralility, nor a basshead, or one who likes 'enhanced' sound. 

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker :wink:

Personally, I prefer MDR-1R over Momentum for it's wider soundstage, better comfort as a over the ear headphone [This does not apply to you in your case since I believe you are open to any type of full size be it over or on ear], a more colored mids [I am a midrange head]. However, I see as a different case for you here. I believe you are more into house musics, therefore, Momentum is a better all rounder.

If you do not wish to wait anymore, you can too look into the AKG K167 which are too suitable for house/trance/hip hop/rap type of music. Wider soundstage than Momentum, forward mids quality bass but still, does not extent as deep as Momentum.

Dont get me wrong but I pesonally do not think Momentum is good for the price bracket as MDR-1R is actually a better all rounder in comparison in terms of sound alhough Momentum sound better with house music in between these two. I think, you are paying more for the build quality, design and portability than the sound quality for the Momentum.

Hope this help!
[Pardon my typo as I am using mobile phone]
Billson XD

May 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:
Thanks :wink: Lastly, how do the 1Rs perform in terms of blocking outside noise?

The earpads are made of pleather and blocks out plenty of noise from the outside and as long as you listen at low voume, it should not leak outside. Pretty good considering it is not an IEM... 

Billson :D

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #19 of 47
I've heard great things about the Momentums. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about this stuff as others here, but I was a professional musician for a few years and know a lot about the science of sound (I'm a science teacher now). Thanks to recommendations I received in another thread I started here, I got the AKG K550 as a good all-rounder, although not as portable as the Momentum. The sound on the 550's is AWESOME, and even after only a couple of days, I can compare them to some of the highest-end equipment I've heard: of course, they're not the same sound as a Stax or the HD800, but they are balanced, neutral, and comfy, and they're closed back, so you don't bug others out and about. Downside? Super big, but I have a super big noggin and so it fits just fine. Good luck with whatever you get!

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #20 of 47
I had the opportunity to try the Sony R1s today and I must say they are comfortable. They block noise well enough I think. The sound was really nice too. They didn't have a lot of bass so I would not necessarily compare them to the VModa or something similar though. They are very different to my ears.

The thing I've found with headphones is that everyone can say something different about a particular model and everyone has different preferences. It's easy to measure and say "these have better bass" or "these should be more accurate" but for someone listening to a particular type of music with a certain preference for sound, accurate might not translate to enjoyment for them. It's really that difficult to pick something out. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #21 of 47
Nicely said, cmdrdredd. I just started posting here, but have been lurking for a while, and the one thing I've learned (also from my own experiences) is that there is no one perfect headphone - there are many, and it is all in the eye of the beholder. The decision making process should include questions about sound quality, but you can never really have a definitive answer on that, so you should worry about other things that set headphones apart: durability, portability, looks, etc. Look at it under many lenses.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 47
I had the opportunity to try the Sony R1s today and I must say they are comfortable. They block noise well enough I think. The sound was really nice too. They didn't have a lot of bass so I would not necessarily compare them to the VModa or something similar though. They are very different to my ears.

The thing I've found with headphones is that everyone can say something different about a particular model and everyone has different preferences. It's easy to measure and say "these have better bass" or "these should be more accurate" but for someone listening to a particular type of music with a certain preference for sound, accurate might not translate to enjoyment for them. It's really that difficult to pick something out. 

The 1R do have rolled off bass at the bottom. [if I forgot to mention above the other day XD ]

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 47
Rolled off bass means the sub bass is lacking in quantity compared to the mid bass and the rest of the sound spectrum. The bass gets softer as the frequency gets lower. It is the opposite of good bass extension.

If the M100 has too much bass for you, the Momentum would be a good choice as it's more balanced. Also consider the Philips lineup (e.g. Fidelio or CitiScape), which is very good for the price, probably a better value than the Momentum, but no detachable cable unfortunately.

Sony 1R is very good if you want smooth, rich, warm mids, but bass and treble are recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back