Beginner help. HD650 cables and other DIY parts.
Jan 26, 2014 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Antikrister

New Head-Fier
Hey, first post! I have in the recent weeks or so been a bit obsessed with headphones, I stumbled across audio-technica ath-m50 for 100 bucks then it just went downhill.
evil_smiley.gif

After lurking a bit in the forums, I have a few things I would like to make.
I want to make myself shorter DIY cables for my old HD 650 (1.2m maybe), but since this is my first real project I want to go the cheap-but-still-decent alternative.

So Neutrik connectors is the first component I have settled upon, I guess all of their models are of the same quality?

But other than that, I am at a loss. What cables should I get, so that they at least is not a downgrade from my stock cables?

I have seen some options for connectors to the headphones.
Cardas, the ones at moon audio(is it cardas), also lunashop had four different options.​
Are they all of equal quality? I'm considering acrolink at lunashop atm.​
 ​
Edit: I just realized that I need a split for the cord too, any recommendations?

I already have heatshrink, and paracord. Is harvesting paracord as good as buying shrink wrap? I imagine it is.​

I haven't really read up on how to connect the cables to the plugs.​
But I imagine that it is quite easy to get it working, im usually not bad at making stuff.​

My second project is to mod my old, non-working akg k518dj. So that I can use a removable cable for them.
As I saw in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/559367/akg-k518-k81-detachable-cable-mod-single-entry-guide-lots-of-pictures
But, I don't know if getting that super-cheap jack would actually make them worse than stock. 
Any recommendations for a 3.5mm jack?

And shop recommendations would be nice too, I live in northern Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back