Beginner Headphone Recommendation (Sub $300)
Oct 3, 2018 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rychist

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase headphones under $300 for use at home (open or closed, either or) with music sourced from my laptop. I have inexperienced ears in terms of describing sound, so everything I know is based off of previous experience. I apologize for not being able to really describe the kind of sound I'm looking for with the proper terms.

Currently, I have the SR80i and I find it to be quite in your face, but in a boring and dull kind of way. I enjoy how it brings out female vocalists. I used to own the SRH840 and I liked how it made the music seem like it had colour to it. But I felt like the vocals didn't really stand out enough. I had a pair of HIFIMAN RE262 which I felt brought vocals out overall in a way that I enjoyed.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 18
HD600 is always an awesome place to start :)
And it's great for female vocals too ^^

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 18
Hey all,
'm looking to purchase headphones under $300 for use at home (open or closed, either or) with music sourced from my laptop. I have inexperienced ears in terms of describing sound, so everything I know is based off of previous experience. I apologize for not being able to really describe the kind of sound I'm looking for with the proper terms.
Currently, I have the SR80i and I find it to be quite in your face, but in a boring and dull kind of way. I enjoy how it brings out female vocalists. I used to own the SRH840 and I liked how it made the music seem like it had colour to it. But I felt like the vocals didn't really stand out enough. I had a pair of HIFIMAN RE262 which I felt brought vocals out overall in a way that I enjoyed.
Thanks!
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones ($150), you have 8 minutes left to order them.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 18
Guys are you kiddn? This headphones are not for 'music sourced from my laptop' :smile::face_palm:

I’ve been reading about the Fiio E10K, it’s at an affordable price at my local electronics store. Would this help power any of the recommended headphones above?

HD600 is always an awesome place to start :)
And it's great for female vocals too ^^

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check it out! I listen to a lot of R&B, especially male artists. How do these do for R&B/jazz?

Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones ($150), you have 8 minutes left to order them.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately I didn’t see this reply till well after 8 minutes. I’ll keep my eye on it though, I really like the look of them. How are these for R&B/jazz?

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 18
Yes, FiiO would handle it
And of course in that case I support all previous posters - you would be pleased with the Sennheiser HD600/650/58x, they definitely perform natural and detailed vocals

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately I didn’t see this reply till well after 8 minutes. I’ll keep my eye on it though, I really like the look of them. How are these for R&B/jazz?
I
I'm not into R&B or Jazz, but I think the HD58X would do well with any type of music.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 18
In Singapore, HD600 is having a good promotion now at SGD399. If this promotion is applicable in your country, go for it. It is a good deal!

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 18
Oct 4, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 18

It's still available. Items that Massdrop has in stock "expire" every 24 hours, but then the timer just resets. It won't really end until they run out of stock.

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 18
The HD58X is back on the menu (for sale) at Massdrop, get them.

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 18
Get the 58X and never look back. I still can't believe they are 150 bucks. If you want something smaller and a little more efficient, grab a pair of Sennheiser HD 25s.

Oct 4, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 18
Agree with serman again HE-400S and Meze 99 Classics both easy to drive and pretty darn good for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back