beginner cd source $400 - $600
Dec 5, 2006 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

apologies

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, im new to this and couldnt find any general guides on beginners sources. Im looking for a CD player for about for about £250 (give or take £50). Im using a Little dot II++, for amplification, and Grado SR60s, but im going to upgrade to K701 or HD650 at some point after chrimbo, when the wallet allows. I was thinking a Nad C542, which i have seen for about £225. Which is less than the obvious choice; the azur. I find it (the azur) a little cheap feeling, and get the impression there is some bias in What hifi? for there awards.... anyways, any thoughts?

Dec 5, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 6
used Eastsound E5, the next step up is $3000 stuff.

Dec 5, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can find one for what you're willing to pay, look for a used Rega Apollo, this CD player sounds better than it has any right to at the price (the equal of some $1k DACs, and certainly better than a stock E5).

I wouldn't say Apollo is better than E5, different maybe.

Dec 5, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 6
Firstly thanks for the speedy replies folks. Both you guys have given me the impression that mabe i should wait a little longer and spend a little more, although if i raised my budget i imagine an even nicer player will be just in reach etc. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back