Beginner beginner headphone, any contender to the HD 201?
Mar 12, 2010 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JiNuWiNe

Head-Fier
Hi everyone. Actually helping a friend out with her purchase. She is looking for something that is comfortable and cheap. The best I can think of is the HD 201 where I can get it for $29.99+tax with free shipping from newegg.ca ($19.99 last week so I told her to wait for the sale again). Yes we're from Canada so our selection is very limited. Anyone wanna take a stab at this?

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm of the opinion that nothing under $50-100 sounds better than Koss KSC75s (which I've seen selling for as low as $12). PortaPros are also great.

I don't know how important looks are. If they are important you should recommend Panasonic HTX7s, which look great in person:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-H.../dp/B001AUGV98

Basically Koss if sound is more important, or the panasonics if looks are more important (they dont sound bad, just not as good as the low end Koss IMO)

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If she is female, get her the HD202, the 201 look absolutely hideous and seem like they were made just to advertise.

wow don't even get my started with the 202. that thing clamps your head so hard that you'll get a headache after a song. And that is exactly why I'm selling them tomorrow. yeah we all know the 201 will never win any award for it's look. I did finally convince her in the end that no one will be judging her appearance at HOME listening to music with the 201 on her head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm of the opinion that nothing under $50-100 sounds better than Koss KSC75s (which I've seen selling for as low as $12). PortaPros are also great.

I don't know how important looks are. If they are important you should recommend Panasonic HTX7s, which look great in person:
Amazon.com: Panasonic RP-HTX7-W1 Monitor Headphones (White): Electronics

Basically Koss if sound is more important, or the panasonics if looks are more important (they dont sound bad, just not as good as the low end Koss IMO)

Yeah I thought of the KSC75 but they aren't appealing to the girls for sure. Sound quality is not her number 1 priority, comfort is. If there's anything that is more comfortable than the 201 and near the $20+tax shipped to Toronto price range. Feel free to chime in.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by choka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD201 is supra aural, that means it sits on the ears. If she wears earrings it will be a lot of pain, like I have when I wear them.

What? I thought they were big enough to sit over your ear, especially if you're a girl. Well she said she's only using them at home so I'm assuming she'll take her earrings off when she's wearing headphone.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiNuWiNe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? I thought they were big enough to sit over your ear, especially if you're a girl. Well she said she's only using them at home so I'm assuming she'll take her earrings off when she's wearing headphone.

i just dug my hd201 out and they are on my head right now.

they are big enough to kind of sit over some of my ear BUT they are definitely on my ear lobe no matter how i adjust them, and they still hurt like hell.

i don't know about girls, but i don't take off my earrings before i go to sleep. i have a friend who's never taken it off since he got it 5+ years ago (now that's a bit gross...)

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 16
Porta Pro (she may not like the design), or some IEM, but I know little about IEMs.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 16
Yeah, I'd say its either HD201 or KSC75. My girlfriend's favorite pair of headphones I own are KSC75s.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 16
PX100 sounds better and looks better than the HD201. Not sure about the price though.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PX100 sounds better and looks better than the HD201. Not sure about the price though.

I disagree pretty strongly. Though it has been quite a while since I have heard the px100.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amazon.com: Panasonic RP-HTX7-W1 Monitor Headphones (White): Electronics

htx7's are the stereotypical asian girl headphones
smile.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
htx7's are the stereotypical asian girl headphones
smile.gif

or stereotypical vintage hipster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back