1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Beginner Audiophile Setup

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by astroman302, Aug 25, 2009.
First

Back
  1. hoth17
    so, should op get a, not junky, but inexpensive sound card as well as a DAC/Amp?

2. lxxl
    not really, he/she could go with a USB DAC+Amp. Only reason why I use my sound card because I already have it.

3. koven Contributor
    I would skip the Zero due to reliability issues, but the Compass is a great starting point/bang for buck value.

4. DoYouRight Contributor
    Compass showed me a REAL step in DAC amp that portables just cant cut into, at home. Huge difference. Get one they are extremely good price for what you get. Just $40~ more than a D10 and you get a NICE amp/dac.

5. Deathwish238
    How would the Compass compare to my current E-MU 0404 and Mini^3 setup?

6. thelsuman
    X2 for the Compass. I've been very pleased with the DAC/Amp combo unit, which is built like a tank. The previous comments about it being a "swiss army knife" are right on. It has USB, coax, & optical digital inputs. Aside from it's DAC & HP amp duties, you can also use it as a pre-amp, if necessary.

7. baxbunny
    are there any stores that sell compass amps within canada?

8. EugeneK
  9. Twitchy_one
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hoth17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    If you do:
    computer/sound card -> DAC -> Amp -> headphones

does that make a sound card pointless?

I think it would make the sound card
    pointless.

If you're using the Xonar or something
    where you customized the op-amps (eg., a
    Burson discrete op-amp), etc, I think
    you would not want to use a DAC
    & use the RCA analog outputs of your
    sound card to the amp instead.

10. JayOTheFirst
    can someone recommend the best headphones under 200 and a dac/amp under 150 ? please and thank you in advance 

11. dwatanabe
    For about 200 you can have AT esw9s. I agree with the compass suggestion but if you are looking for something cheaper, a friend of mine really likes his y1 dac which can be had for dirt cheap(diy). Then you'd only need an amp.

First

Back