Beginner audiophile set. Does this sound like a good combo?
Mar 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Supertoaster

500+ Head-Fier
So my birthday is in May and these are my first ever 'audiophile' set. I've never heard audio better then a cheap headset on my motherboards intergreted audio or cheap $10 earbuds on my iPod. I was thinking of JVC HARX700's with a Asus Xonar DG and was planning to mod the JVC's by taking the mic off this cheap Labtech microphone and attaching it with velcro to the side of the JVC's like in the picture below.

Someone did this to their JVC 900's

I was also recommended an amp but was told that the Asus had a built in one. Is it worth getting one and what would be best for cheapest?

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
supertoaster. you may have the best screen name of them all ! 

I had a recommendation for you but then realized you are looking for a headset.

Thank you and no I'm not looking for a headset. I was just explaining how I could attach that headset to the JVC's and have a sort of makeshift 'headset'

You reccomended those KOSS but I doubt they have better sound quality or build quality then the JVC's. I've never tried them but I can just assume. I am actually seriously considering them or the Sennheiser 201's to take with me to school, though 

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 18
I was reading and I'm most likely getting paranoid but I was reading about people having issues with the Xonar, something about an EEPROM Failure. Should I be worried about this? I have a AMD 780g motherboard which was included with my computer when I bought it (It's a Gateway 4300 15e). Is it known to occur on that motherboard?

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
So my birthday is in May and these are my first ever 'audiophile' set. I've never heard audio better then a cheap headset on my motherboards intergreted audio or cheap $10 earbuds on my iPod. I was thinking of JVC HARX700's with a Asus Xonar DG and was planning to mod the JVC's by taking the mic off this cheap Labtech microphone and attaching it with velcro to the side of the JVC's like in the picture below.

Someone did this to their JVC 900's

I was also recommended an amp but was told that the Asus had a built in one. Is it worth getting one and what would be best for cheapest?

The Xonar DG should power the JVC HA-RX900s & RX700s just fine.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 18

Keep in mind that the RX700 are very large so not really anything you can carry with you, etc. They are nice headphones for $35. However, there are other headphones that are as good for that price range for sound quality so make sure you check out a few options before you settle on that one. For instance the Incipio f38 can be had for under $30 and are at the same level in overall sound quality but of course they have a much different sound. They are pretty much the same headphone as the FA-004 and  Brainwavz HM3, only cheaper. They look like they will hold up as well as the RX700 as I have the RX700 and the HM3. They are much smaller making them more portable, but not as comfortable. I'd say that the Brainwavz/Incipio sound is a bit more fun than the RX700 but to each his own. There is some slight sibilance which can be annoying to some. There are also some Panasonic models that are widely recommended in that price range. I have not tried them myself but there are multiple threads on them.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 18
Heya,

What's your maximum budget?

Very best,

Hi, My max budget is $50 I dont really know what Im looking for except I want build quality as good as the JVCs are aupposed to have. I play a lot of games (mainly FPS) so I guess 65% music 35% other. I listen to a "ot of kinds of music ranging from electronica with lots f synths (not dubstep) to songs with lots of instruments like Viva La Vida

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Hi, My max budget is $50 I dont really know what Im looking for except I want build quality as good as the JVCs are aupposed to have. I play a lot of games (mainly FPS) so I guess 65% music 35% other. I listen to a "ot of kinds of music ranging from electronica with lots f synths (not dubstep) to songs with lots of instruments like Viva La Vida

Samson SR850 (made by Superlux).

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Currently $51 at Amazon: Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones.

These seem nice but they are really ugly looking, not that its all I care about but they are out of my comfort zone.

I'm still leaning towards the JVC's because people on other forums have told me they win in terms of build quality and comfort. But the Sampsons have a larger soundstage (however I heard modding the JVC's can actually improve the soundstage and bass quite a bit). I hate this decision. What about JVC HAR900's.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
These seem nice but they are really ugly looking, not that its all I care about but they are out of my comfort zone.

I'm still leaning towards the JVC's because people on other forums have told me they win in terms of build quality and comfort. But the Sampsons have a larger soundstage (however I heard modding the JVC's can actually improve the soundstage and bass quite a bit). I hate this decision. What about JVC HAR900's.

It's your money and your choice.  But there is a reason that a $50 headphone is ranked the #13 "best" headphone by this site.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
It's your money and your choice.  But there is a reason that a $50 headphone is ranked the #13 "best" headphone by this site.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear

The more I look at them the more I think they aren't that bad looking actually. I just read reviews of build quality that is sturdy yet 'feels' cheap and I really hate that feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back