Beginner Audiophile. Please help (:
Dec 28, 2011 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

zejohn

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm new to Head-fi and the whole audiophile thing so I'll try to be as elaborate as I can.

Currently, I own the Klipsch S4i's and a pair of horrendous Beats Pros. My main audio source is my iMac and my iPod Touch (May be switching to the Zune HD/Samsung Galaxy Nexus)
After learning that my Klipsch S4 were of great value and that my Beats Pro are of horrible value, I've decided that I will sell my Beats. I should be able to rack up around 350 dollars off them as they are still in fairly new condition.

Whilst digging around for a bit, I've learned a lot about headphones. A lot of my favorite songs are now in Apple Lossless format. I've also found out that amplifiers/external sound cards are needed to power headphones and get the best sound quality I can get

So here are my questions:
What's the difference between an external sound card, an amplifier, and a DAC?
Which is better: Altec Lansing speakers into my iMac using the line in with no amplifier or with amplifier (The speakers are powered  and plugged in) 
How are the Fiio e7s and the Fiio e9s? Should I buy them together? When docked, do they improve sound more than they would separately?
Which one is better? I like flat, neutral sound; the Sony MDR-XB500 or Sony MDR-XB700?  (For value, not sound quality. Also consider this is for mobile use)
I've read that the AKG Q701 are a lot better than that of the K702s and the K701s. Is this true?
How does the AKG Q701 compare to the Audio Technica ATH-M50s? Keep in mind that the Beats Pro are horribly uncomfortable so comfort really matters to me.
Which of the headphones mentioned leak? 

Most importantly, using the money I get from my Beats Pro, is buying the AKG Q701s (for general use with the fiio e7), the Fiio e7, the Fiio e9 (for home speakers and docking e7) worth it? (Mainly for general use. Cars, study hall, etc.) Would it be better if I also bought the Sony MDR-XB-500/700 for mobility's sake?

Thanks for getting this far. I know I'm new to this so if you could keep your responses easy to understand that'd be much appreciated. 

If you know an answer to just one inquiry, it'd be great if you left a response. 

Thanks,
Johnathan

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 2
I myself am still a novice in these hallowed halls having only been into my headphones seriously for just over a year - so others may well tell you more sound advice , but heres my take.

What's the difference between an external sound card, an amplifier, and a DAC?
Your best bet is to use google - most people will expect you to do some research before asking simple questions.
an amp boosts the signal by improving the power/voltage/db on its way through - most good headphones have an impedance higher that what a phone/ipod/altplayer can power thus an amp brings the true quality of the headphones back. (simple example being the senn HD650s - usually needing a good bit of amping to really show their true potential).

Which is better: Altec Lansing speakers into my iMac using the line in with no amplifier or with amplifier (The speakers are powered  and plugged in) 
an amp will not help with powered speakers correctly - but as i dont use desktop speakers im not the best to give you an answer on this.

How are the Fiio e7s and the Fiio e9s? Should I buy them together? When docked, do they improve sound more than they would separately?
theres plenty of threads on head-fi about this excelent entry combo - i own them and love them - the e7 is usually grabbed just beforte heading out for my portable rig and then promptly returned for when im back on music listening. the e9 amp is very good for its price and will definately be a benifit - the e7 dac helps , and its ability to be a portable amp is what made me get the pair. and yes docing improves the quality of the sound.

Which one is better? I like flat, neutral sound; the Sony MDR-XB500 or Sony MDR-XB700?  (For value, not sound quality. Also consider this is for mobile use)
having owned neither i cannot comment.

I've read that the AKG Q701 are a lot better than that of the K702s and the K701s. Is this true?
well everyones ears and tastes are different - by status  the k701s are king but the extra price of the q701s and slight sound signature difference make it better in some ways to people - however i think that the price sways the vote more than anything.

How does the AKG Q701 compare to the Audio Technica ATH-M50s? Keep in mind that the Beats Pro are horribly uncomfortable so comfort really matters to me.
not really worn either enough to say fully but from the small time ive worn k701s vs the m50s i would prefer the 701s - again it comes down to body type - i have a small head...
Which of the headphones mentioned leak? the 701s being open in design will allow sound out, but really only if your listening at loud volumes.

Most importantly, using the money I get from my Beats Pro, is buying the AKG Q701s (for general use with the fiio e7), the Fiio e7, the Fiio e9 (for home speakers and docking e7) worth it? (Mainly for general use. Cars, study hall, etc.) Would it be better if I also bought the Sony MDR-XB-500/700 for mobility's sake?

you have listed several situations here..
studying
car
which would instantly make me go - you would not want an open design but a closed one.
but as i often use my open ones outside and about the place - im among the cabal that think that when your mobile that your bodys movement is enough to negate the quality increase of closed vs open anyway.
For your studying and non home use you may as well stick to your IEMs and then have the sexy 701s as your home luxury pair.

remember head-fi is about wonderful music - not mines better than yours. and you have seen the light by  dispensing with beats - one of the worst offenders.

i hope this helps - do youse the search function though as much of what you have asked has been answered many times.
and i hope older headfiers can guide you more easily with your choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back