Before spending $$$, get your hearing tested ...
Jun 15, 2017 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

dysonapr

New Head-Fier
Seems obvious in retrospect, but I arrived at this conclusion empirically.

I started with a cheap FiiO DAC. That sounded nicer than the soundcard on my PC. Excellent! What else might be out there?

Crowd-funded GEEK Out 1000 and Geek Pulse DACs followed. Hi-Res music downloads. Hifiman HE-400 "cans" (after lesser audiophile-approved models).

In the real world, I often listen to 320 Kb/s AAC music streams. They actually sound perfectly OK to me. 24/96 (or 24/192) recordings do not sound better to my ears than 16/44 recordings of the same material.

Because I admire "Schiit Audio", I recently bought a "Fulla 2" DAC/amp to be my daily take-to-work music source. To me, it sounds just as good as the better-spec'd DACs that preceded it.

I have recently been enjoying "auditioning" Knowledge Zenith" IEMs (based on the premise that most expensive-IEM components are actually cheap, and sourced from China anyway). To me, they sound just a good as name-brand IEMs that retail for much higher prices.

My ears have 65-years of use. Tests indicate I have age-related high-frequency hearing-loss. I have had mild tinnitus since before I knew what that was.

How "good" are your ears? Do they justify spending $$$?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back