Before I drop a couple hundred dollar bills on a nice new Cowon, are they dependable?
Jun 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
I am also considering what another member recommended: the Colorfly C3 with the C&C BH2 Amp. But @Achmedisdead, are you saying an amp may do very little justice to a Sony Walkmen F Series, especially considering the amount one amp may cost?

Yes. Maybe you should peek in the threads for the F and Z Sony players and look to see what people are using with them? 
Quote:

I have the Philips Citiscape Uptowns which are a little underpowered in the sense that they lack volume slightly (at least with my iPad and computer even after burn-in) and also The VSonic GR07 MK2s.

Well, the X3 would easily power both of those. 

Another thing to think about....how portable do you need your combination to be? Carrying a player around is one thing, but carrying around a player-amp combo is another. Somebody out running, skateboarding,  or cycling probably wouldn't want to carry about a combo unit, just a player and earphones.

I only end up using an amp when I am sitting at home.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:
The HiFiMAN HM-601 with ROCKBOX also looks very nice. I must reiterate, I will mostly be listening to mp3 files....will I still get noticeably better audio quality than an iPod?

I have no idea....never tried a 601. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Yes. Maybe you should peek in the threads for the F and Z Sony players and look to see what people are using with them? 

Well, the X3 would easily power both of those. 

Another thing to think about....how portable do you need your combination to be? Carrying a player around is one thing, but carrying around a player-amp combo is another. Somebody out running, skateboarding,  or cycling probably wouldn't want to carry about a combo unit, just a player and earphones.

I only end up using an amp when I am sitting at home.

Quote:
I have no idea....never tried a 601. 

It sounds like the Sony Walkman F will be my best bet. But given how slim the Sony Walkman is alone, I wouldn't find an additional amp attached to it via an LOD to be that much of a nuisance when biking, workout in the gym, walking, running, etc. as long as it is "firm" in my pocket. Albeit, if it just be an extra appendage for the walkman and not something that will actually increase sound quality than I will definitely skip up on that because, like you said, I do not want to carry around something that is not needed.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #22 of 26
yes of course my J3 still rocking
L3000.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #24 of 26
I'll add my 0.2c.

I had a Cowon x5 from 2006. I had replaced its battery twice.
Dependable; yes very. Would I replace it most likey not.

Sadly, mine was stolen a few weeks ago so I need a new DAP.

I got hold of a Fiio X3.
Its very well build and sounds amazing.
The UI is basic but meets my (limited) needs. 

I would be happy to recommend a X3 to anyone. Of course everyone's needs are different. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #25 of 26
iPod 5.5g beats ANY daps (new or old, high or low end) out there in terms of user interface and upgradable drive/storage. Did I mention the rockbox?

Now this is the best part: DIYmod the bitch with a couple of Kemet caps, then throw in a decent amp (UHA6S mk2) and a pair of decent iem's (EX1000), and suddenly you find yourself in paradise.
wink_face.gif

P.S. I was disappointed in the J3 when I owned it. Definitely NOT for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back