Before El Duque There was Luque and Before Robinson There was Estalella
Jan 17, 2005 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
We all owe a tremendous debt to Jackie Robinson. Not only because of Major League baseball integration, but more importantly, because of the significant advancement of race relations worldwide that was the real aftermath of his actions during and after his baseball career. His sacrifices must never be forgotten or diminished, and Robinson was and will always be a hero, not just for Americans, but for mankind.

Also important, and rarely discussed, are the Latin American baseball players, some of African ancestry, who played in the Majors before Robinson. These men, like Robinson, were often showered with abuses and insults, and like Robinson, were required to ignore these insults, but unlike Robinson, have now faded into forgotten pages of baseball history. I believe that these men played a crucial part in paving the way for Robinson. I also believe that they helped Branch Rickey to gather the courage to break officially the color line. And equally important, they helped the other team owners and white baseball players to accept African-Americans and other players of color, into the Major Leagues.

Read the rest of this great article here: http://campello.tripod.com/firstblackinbaseball.html

Today is a good a day as any to learn about a part of history that most people never knew about.

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Great Link and a great story!
etysmile.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 3
I know Minnie Minoso very well and he tells this story often. He credits Jackie Robinson with being the first African-American player but not the first black player in MLB. He often claims that Robinson was not even one of the best players in the Negro leagues. John Jordan "Buck" O'Neal(the real spelling of his name) has often said the same thing and claimed that Robinson was chosen as much for his diplomacy skills as his basball skills.

That is a great story,thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back