Before Chef. Before Black Moses. Even before Shaft. There was Hot Buttered Soul.
Feb 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 38
great soul voice , but isaac's albums always seemed to me 'fake' , feeling-wise

like he sings the lyrics reading a script.

on topic , if you wanna listen to some GREAT soul music , which imo , sends isaac out for tea

Bobby Bland

ok don't trust me m just dl these 3 albums and listen for yourselves - i know for sure that i havent listened to mr hayes for quite some time now...

Dreamer
Reflections In Blue
His California Album

voice/songs/albums , imo bobby RIPS mr hayes.

Looking fwd to your impressions/feedback.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #18 of 38

Quote:
The first Hayes song that comes to mind is "I can't turn around," the man has a ton of great tracks, but that one is my favorite. The song is a freight train; it starts out a bit slow, gets up to speed, then just steams along. Love the horns and the fuzzed out guitar.

Oh Man - I missed "I Can't Turn Around." I've never heard it before today. Thank you so much for bringing that to all of our attention. And yeah - a freight train is really the only way to describe that. A dancing freight train!

Please keep sharing great tracks. Let's have this thread be the ultimate tribute to Mr. Hayes. May he Rest in Peace. Some music is just too good to not share.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #19 of 38

Quote:
Wow!

The layering in the recording is really cool; The cues are wild on my K400. Thanks for the article.

Hi Sylverant - I'm so glad that you listened to the track with headphones. Crazy, no! Were you listening to the YouTube clip or did you download a high-res track? The 24-bit remaster is even crazier than what I fell in love with the first time around. That box set really is worth it.

Thanks,

Mike

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #20 of 38

Quote:
Some of you may not have seen the double LP gate-fold from "Black Moses" by Hayes.
Digitals great and all but..

You are so right JadeEast! Digital just can't touch this. But I have to say - the "Black Moses" CD in the box set has the same foldout. It's not the same as the LP - 4 feet is 4 feet. But it still beats a file. I tried to hang it up in my daughter's room but it didn't make the cut:wink:

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #21 of 38

Quote:
I downloaded the hi-res version of this from HDtracks a few weeks ago and I can't wait until I can compare it my vinyl copy when get back to Los Angeles. I just wish Warner would do a 24bit re-release of Curtis Mayfield records so I can get closer to completing my digital soul music collection.

Oh bizkit - I HEAR you on that one! Let's take a minute to give it up to Curtis. That man can make me cry in 4 bars. Just in case anyone missed this virtual collaboration between Lauryn Hill & Curtis Mayfield doing "Her But I'm Gone" - take a listen but have some Kleenex nearby.

Lauryn Hill & Curtis Mayfield | Here But I'm Gone

What's your favorite Curtis Mayfield track?

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #24 of 38

Quote:
on topic , if you wanna listen to some GREAT soul music , which imo , sends isaac out for tea

Bobby Bland

ok don't trust me m just dl these 3 albums and listen for yourselves - i know for sure that i havent listened to mr hayes for quite some time now...

Dreamer
Reflections In Blue
His California Album

Hey there Proedros - I had never heard of Bobby Bland before and I'm so happy that you turned this thread onto those golden pipes. I'm not saying that I agree with your take on Ole Isaac BUT I hear where you're coming from - especially armed with someone so real as Bobby Bland. So far, I only listened to His California Album but he's now on the top spot of my Spotify queue. I wish I could say that I have a better ear for old soul - but I don't so please keep these great suggestions coming. Any one else that should be on my radar but isn't?

Mike

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #25 of 38
Unfortunately, I detest Lauryn Hill. But, that doesn't take away from the fact that it was a beautiful mix of one of my old favorites.

I'm overcome with the urge to grab a mink coat, cane, and a pair of platform shoes every time I hear it.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #27 of 38
Oh bizkit - I HEAR you on that one! Let's take a minute to give it up to Curtis. That man can make me cry in 4 bars. Just in case anyone missed this virtual collaboration between Lauryn Hill & Curtis Mayfield doing "Her But I'm Gone" - take a listen but have some Kleenex nearby.

Lauryn Hill & Curtis Mayfield | Here But I'm Gone

What's your favorite Curtis Mayfield track?

Lovely duet.
It's hard to choose just one favorite from Mayfield's work but let's start with these two:
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECgBXkil7YI&feature=related[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6BzsgOLAw[/VIDEO]

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #30 of 38
Hey Mike,

Thanks for remembering what we all did back then.

I know you didn't write all of the copy above, but I should correct one thing, just for the "Internet record."

The HBS sessions were not all tracked in "just 1 eight-hour studio session.'

We tracked for probably three evenings, and the album was produced and recorded with much care...def not a "throwaway."

Isaac's vocals were sung live with the band, as he sat and played the Hammond A-100.

Maybe I should get that box set and check those notes, ha ha.

Regards to all,

Terry Manning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back