Beethoven's Piano Sonatas
Oct 17, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #106 of 181
Here's a sample of Barenboim playing #20 in G major from the dvd set. You will have to set the player to play the large file in order to hear the true sound quality.

I wonder that they chose that one as the sample as it's not one of the "greater" sonatas. Then again, almost everyone who takes piano lessons gets to play this one. I certainly did, although I doubt I sounded that good.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #107 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite Beethoven Piano Cycle is that of Stephen Kovacevich on EMI. It is my favorite out of 27 cycles I own.

Would, in your opinion, the Kovacevich cycle be a suitable first (perhaps only?) complete cycle for someone who, like me, is fairly new to these works (I am familiar with the "late sonatas" as well as most of those carrying a nickname, which leaves 20-something sonatas to explore)?

Interpretatively, I generally like my Beethoven straight, powerful, and unsentimental. Good sound and cheap pricing is a plus, and Kovacevich seems to fit those criteria.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #108 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would, in your opinion, the Kovacevich cycle be a suitable first (perhaps only?) complete cycle for someone who, like me, is fairly new to these works (I am familiar with the "late sonatas" as well as most of those carrying a nickname, which leaves 20-something sonatas to explore)?

Interpretatively, I generally like my Beethoven straight, powerful, and unsentimental. Good sound and cheap pricing is a plus, and Kovacevich seems to fit those criteria.

If you are only going to get one Beethoven Sonata set, then forget price. Get Annie Fischer's Complete Beethoven Sonatas. Her playing is the leanest and most intense. If I could only have one cycle, this is the one I would choose.

287dc060ada051164bcd8110.L.jpg

If you can tolerate slightly less than optimal sound, then at least consider the bargain priced Brilliant Classics Friedrich Gulda set (originally on Amadeo). Here's a link to the Classicstoday review.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #109 of 181
Bunny would you choose Annie Fischer over Brautigam/BIS if you could only have one sonata set?
(both are budget widowmakers)

You are once again making serious potential problems for my wallet......

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #110 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bunny would you choose Annie Fischer over Brautigam/BIS if you could only have one sonata set?
(both are budget widowmakers)

You are once again making serious potential problems for my wallet......

No. First, Brautigam's cycle isn't complete yet. Second, I was only considering modern piano cycles against other modern cycles. Knowing me, you can already guess that there's no way I'm going to live without the Gilels, Barenboim, O'Conor, Gulda, Kempff, and Arrau cycles to name a few. Suffice to say that I consider Annie's cycle to be an essential of any Beethoven collection, even with the sound a bit too bright with perhaps a touch too much reverb in places (the piano was very closely miked). Her quality is why the set is expensive. Sometimes you have to pay more for quality, although if you keep checking Amazon and Ebay, you may come up with a less expensive used set. I know I paid half of what it's listed for now for a new set. Certainly with the dollar strengthening the price will come down. It's also slightly less expensive if you order it from Caiman from Amazon UK. They only charge the US shipping charge, VAT is deducted, and then the usual Amazon commission is added so that you can save a few bucks, though less than you will suspect. It will, however come out to less than the price that Caiman will be charging you if you buy it through amazon US -- but for the life of me I can't figure out why. Also, depending on your credit card, you may be charged commissions for ordering in a foreign currency.

Brautigam is my fortepiano cycle of choice. I like what he's done so much more than the other fortepiano recordings of Beethoven sonatas (Paul Komen, Trudeliese Leonhardt)! If Andreas Staier decides to record the sonatas then I would have to reconsider, although I'll bet they would be of such fine quality that I would be buying those to keep along side the Brautigam.

There are a few brief samples at JPC.de that you can look up, but suffice to say that her playing has the strength of Martha Argerich's, although the sensibility is purely Austro-Hungarian. Her tempos broaden for the slower movements but are prestissimo where necessary. Unfortunately the sound quality isn't top notch, but despite that it's still at the top of my list. (So far - I'm known to be very fickle and something new is always on the horizon.
wink.gif
)

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #111 of 181
I am very anoyed by pedal noises in adagios. The 14th adagio is pretty bad in that sense.
I do not care or even think it's lively to hear Arrau's nails on the keys or Gould's humming, but in this case, it ruins it a bit for me.

Am I the only one ? Listen between 0:27 and 0:33 for example it is really bad.

Lionel

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #112 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very anoyed by pedal noises in adagios. The 14th adagio is pretty bad in that sense.
I do not care or even think it's lively to hear Arrau's nails on the keys or Gould's humming, but in this case, it ruins it a bit for me.

Am I the only one ? Listen between 0:27 and 0:33 for example it is really bad.

Lionel

Which tracks are you referring to? Which recording for that matter?!

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #113 of 181
Lionel,

Since your posting, I took out some of the Yves Nat recordings which reminded me of something I've always wondered about: What piano did he use for the Beethoven recordings? It doesn't sound as if he used a Steinway, I suspect he was playing an Érard. If you have any documentation as to the piano he played, I'd love to know this. Unfortunately my set doesn't make any mention of the instrument.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #114 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash /img/forum/go_quote.gif

absolutely! I feel it is the best complete Beethoven cycle of the 26 I own. Kovacevich is the only pianist I know that seems equally adaptable to the early, middle and late Beethoven sonatas.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #115 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
absolutely! I feel it is the best complete Beethoven cycle of the 26 I own. Kovacevich is the only pianist I know that seems equally adaptable to the early, middle and late Beethoven sonatas.

I have noticed in other Kovacevich collections there are sonatas on the Phillips label......did he do another complete Beethoven sonata set when he was younger for Phillips and have you heard it?

41C-56a0uWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This Phillips Beethoven collection contains Kovacevich/Davis 1-5 piano concertos, Diabelli Variations, Bagatelles, plus several sonatas

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #116 of 181
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Paul Lewis' complete cycle of the sonates. All the four volumes has been an editor's choice in Gramophone, and I own three of them. I have Goode's cycle, but for better sound and for a more modern approach to the music I warmly recommend Lewis' readings.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #117 of 181
The Lewis cycle is next on my to-acquire list. He got a ringing endorsement from Alex Ross, whose opinion I trust more than any other music critic I've read. I like what I hear from the samples, although a couple mannerisms have made me raise my eyebrows. But I have enough fairly traditional (if there is such a thing) sets that I have no problem with a set that presents a new perspective.

Now to find the money...

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #118 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which tracks are you referring to? Which recording for that matter?!

ah duh ... a cut and paste ruined my post :frowning2:
I meant the adagio of the 14th by Brautigam.

Lionel

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #119 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lionel,

Since your posting, I took out some of the Yves Nat recordings which reminded me of something I've always wondered about: What piano did he use for the Beethoven recordings? It doesn't sound as if he used a Steinway, I suspect he was playing an Érard. If you have any documentation as to the piano he played, I'd love to know this. Unfortunately my set doesn't make any mention of the instrument.

The booklet of the box does not mention it either, it mentions the recording month for each cd but not much.

Erard would be 'typical french of that time' (Homage to Yves Nat (1890 - 1956) Cinquantenaire by Monsegur Vaillant - ADG-PARIS 2006) but I could not find anything on the net for the specific recording of the beethoven sonatas.

If I can find a book regarding Yves Nat, I'll look into it a bit :)

Lionel

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #120 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The booklet of the box does not mention it either, it mentions the recording month for each cd but not much.

Erard would be 'typical french of that time' (Homage to Yves Nat (1890 - 1956) Cinquantenaire by Monsegur Vaillant - ADG-PARIS 2006) but I could not find anything on the net for the specific recording of the beethoven sonatas.

If I can find a book regarding Yves Nat, I'll look into it a bit :)

Lionel

Thank you in advance! I've always wondered about the piano in the sonata recordings.

As for the adagio, I'll have to listen to the place when I get the chance (and a little quiet -- they are drilling in the street outside my apartment this morning.
angry_face.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back