Beethoven's 5th on SACD
Mar 21, 2006 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

deez

Head-Fier
I just wanted to share that I recently listended to a SACD I had purchased 2-3 years ago through headphones for the first time. I also thoroughly enjoyed it for the first time ever. The first track(s) were actually Schubert's Unfinished Symphony, which I liked more than when I first heard it, but still not as much as good 'ol Ludwig's tune.

Particularly in the 2nd track of the Fifth Symphony recording, my headphones combined with an amp produced the most true-to-life sound I've ever experienced through headphones. The use of an amp to tighten up bass sounds and clarify the sound overall was IME what made it so nice; I'll be completely enthralled when I step up to a more high-end rig. Oh my wallet!!
biggrin.gif

One thing I didn't like about it, though, was that there were almost unbearable levels of hiss going on throughout both recordings. I suspect the fact that these recordings were originally made in 1958 may have a huge amount to do with that. Bruno Walter was the conductor for both performances, which is presumably why they had to use such old recordings.

Anyone had similar experiences w/ noise on classical SACDs? I was thinking newer recordings would most likely have much less hiss/white noise, but maybe it's inherent in recording an entire orchestra.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 4
Hiss over headphones is something I really have gotten to hate. I don't mind it over speakers but when I have the phones in my ears it is major discomfort. If you really like Beethoven's 5th, then try the new SACD/hybrid recording by Osmo Vännskä and the Minnesota Symphony Orchestra. It's a digital recording, excellent performance and guaranteed no hiss. It's also available from Amazon partners for a very reasonable price.
wink.gif

B00076AE3U.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 4
I believe the first complete Beethoven symphonies set ever recorded natively in DSD (direct stream digital) and for the SACD format is one on the Philips label made by Jaap van Zweden (formerly the concertmaster at the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra) and his Residentie Orchestra Hague.

Beethoven: Symphonies 1-9 [Hybrid SACD] [BOX SET]
Jaap van Zweden
Label:philips
Genre:Classical
Product No.:CPHI 476028 SA
Format: Hybrid Multichannel SACD
No. of Discs:5

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

I think it is everything that Bunnyears (hi there) said about the Vanska recording (sound engineering by Polyhymnia = Pentatone) but even cheaper. I like my set.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 4
thank you both. i shall check them out & be free from hiss
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back