Beethoven Triple Concerto / Brahms Double Concerto
Mar 2, 2008 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tim_j_thomas

100+ Head-Fier
Highly recommended. The triple is with Oistrakh, Rostropovich, & Richter with Karajan and the Berliner Philharmoniker. Bramhs double is with Oistrakh, Rostroppovich, Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra.

413KJYZWK6L._SS500_.jpg

Here's the amazon link: Amazon.com: Great Recordings Of The Century - Beethoven: Triple Concerto; Brahms: Double Concerto / Oistrakh, Rostropovich, Richter: Mstislav Rostropovich,Ludwig van Beethoven,Johannes Brahms,George Szell,Herbert von Karajan,Berliner Philharmoniker,C

Enjoy!

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 13
I found the triple concerto to be boring and I blame this on Karajan and the BPO. The individual soloists were great in their own respective performances- its just that taken together, the interpretation leaves something to be desired. I much prefer Fricsay's recording on DG.

The Brahms double concerto on the other hand is of first rate and this performance alone is worth the price of this cd.

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 13
It's not bad, but there are definitely some that are better.

Capucon brothers:

51OMjMblwlL._SS400_.jpg

Bronfman, Mork, Zinman:

513ANJDC0ML._SS500_.jpg

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not bad, but there are definitely some that are better.

Capucon brothers:

Bronfman, Mork, Zinman:

I got this version of the Triple Concerto with the Sony 60 CD set that Amazon was selling for $25. It's very nice. The Brahms CD looks very interesting to me because I don't own any version of either pieces and I really like the Clarinet Quintet.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 13
Ooh, that looks interesting. I've only heard Fischer in a few things, but have been VERY impressed with what I have heard. I'll have to pick that one up. Because the Capucon recording, while being better than any other performance I've heard (about a dozen), still isn't quite as good as the music can be, IMO. Same way I felt about the Triple concerto before I heard the zinman/bronfman/mork/shaham recording.

May 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Searching for the Beethoven Triple Concerto, I found this old thread.
So let's start it up again.

I recently got a Blue Note XRCD24 of Tina (Harold Floyd) Brooks "Back to the tracks" the company behind these remaster editions is audio wave using JVC's K2 process and Alan Yoshida is the engineer. 

Flipping through their offerings I found the Beethoven Triple Concerto with Karajan, Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Richter: 
It seems there are countless offerings of this "cow" and EMI and a few others keep milking it in regular intervals, whenever a new technology gives a chance for selling it again in a new package.

XRCD 2013

51JKhogR6ZL._AA160_.jpg

Hybrid SACD/DSD 2012
51d6N3wsycL._SY300_.jpg

CD 2008
724382665427_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

CD remastered 1999
413KJYZWK6L.__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

CD remastered 2010 +Brahms Double Concerto
51B9dRHbbkL._SY300_.jpg

CD 2007 w. Brahms Double Concerto
319Z8-frs6L.jpg

with Beethoven Piano concerto No.4, CD 2005
51548tKUVmL._AA160_.jpg

CD 1993
21Y59RGDBHL.jpg

Just listening to it a few seconds online, I am almost certain I don't like this Karajan recording. There is just a certain way of his interpretations in general, that is not my cup of tea. I'm not sure how to describe it ... maybe saccharine sweetness? So my initial thoughts to figure out which version of this recording is the best possible quality is moot at this point.
So I am looking for a different kind of interpretation.

Are the alternatives mentioned above about 6 years ago still the top renditions of the Triple concerto ?
Any new note worthy interpretations that should be considered?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #13 of 13
Strange thing with this CD, for the first time ever the player displayed  "disc error" and would not start playing.
I ripped the CD on my MBP and the titles come in blocks of reversed order : 3, 2, 1 and then 9 to 4.
It does play fine (in correct order) from the hard drive via USB.
I am currently favoring other kinds of music, so I can't give a good judgement but a first listen to the first tow movements is very promising.
Dynamic, colorful, not the bloated, sugary or too slow. Definitely a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back