Beethoven Quartets and Piano Sonatas
May 5, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #61 of 104
I have a couple of his EMI cd's. It wasn't terrible, just a bit mono-chromatic.

May 17, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #62 of 104
Picked up the incomplete Emil Gilels box set of Beethoven piano sonatas.

It's good. :p So far I like what I hear better than stuff by Arrau, Ashkenazy, and Kovacevich. Although I've only listened to a small number of the sonatas (for example, only 3 each by Kovacevich and Ashkenazy, and around 6 or so by Arrau, and I've only listened to about 6 or so of Gilel's from the set), I feel that Gilels is more, umm, effortless, and that whether I like a sonata or not will be dependent on Beethoven and not on Gilels.

May 18, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #63 of 104
I had a chance to hear some of the Prazak Quartet's Beethoven, and now I've got their complete quartet cycle in SACD/hybrid format on order! Will post more after it arrives and I have had a chance to listen more.
smily_headphones1.gif

B000BD1ITI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

May 18, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #64 of 104
Ooh, the complete quartet cycle on SACD... That's quite tempting indeed. I look forward to hearing your impressions. I assume that what you have heard was pretty good if it enticed you enough to purchase the set, yes?

May 18, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #65 of 104
Hi Jay,

I heard the Razumovsky quartets cd, and it was wonderful. The sound quality was also excellent: clear, warm and incredibly natural. It was certainly the best sounding Beethoven quartet recording I had ever heard, and a dynamic and wonderfully nuanced interpretation as well. I already have their Mendelssohn Octet and Dvorak Cypresses cds, so it came as no surprise that their Beethoven would also be excellent. They are 4 extremely talented musicians who form a wonderful ensemble. I have no doubt that the rest of the quartets will be equally rewarding.

May 18, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #66 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Picked up the incomplete Emil Gilels box set of Beethoven piano sonatas.

It's good. :p So far I like what I hear better than stuff by Arrau, Ashkenazy, and Kovacevich. Although I've only listened to a small number of the sonatas (for example, only 3 each by Kovacevich and Ashkenazy, and around 6 or so by Arrau, and I've only listened to about 6 or so of Gilel's from the set), I feel that Gilels is more, umm, effortless, and that whether I like a sonata or not will be dependent on Beethoven and not on Gilels.

I daresay both Arrau and Ashkenazy had more "effortless" techniques than Gilels, not that it matters as much in the studio.

May 18, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #67 of 104
That might be the case. I'm not well-versed in the musicophile linguo :p

Oct 28, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #68 of 104
Bunnyears,

Have you given the Prazak Quartet complete SA-CD String Quartets a listen? What are your impressions. The people on sa-cd.net have given most of the Prazak Quartet only mediocre reviews so I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #69 of 104
Hi Pennylane,

I haven't posted about this because the order never arrived! The vendor canceled (sent me an email that they were no longer available so no money changed hands) so now I am looking for a more reasonably priced set than I have so far found on the internet. It was a great disappointment.
frown.gif

Nov 6, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #70 of 104
Bunnyears,

Did you ever get the Kovacevich or O'Conor sonata cycles? It's time for me to add another set to the collection and I'm considering a few:

Goode
Kovacevich
O'Conor
Kempff mono

My current favorite is Arrau, but every once in a while I like to try a new cycle to get a new viewpoint. Also, Arrau in some places is a little too...overwrought. Any impressions of the above (or another personal favorite that any of you might have) would be appreciated.

-Jay

Nov 6, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #71 of 104
Hi Jay,

I did get a few volumes of the O'Conor, but the price was a bit steep and so I passed it by. I did buy the Backhaus sonatas which is excellent and the Annie Fischer which is also excellent if a bit uneven for sound quality.

Right now, the set that I am really interested in is Ronald Brautigam's ongoing cycle in SACD/hybrid on fortepiano (Bis). I have bought all three volumes that have been released and they are as good as it can get -- not a clunker in the bunch -- and the sound quality is amazing. Rarely have I heard a piano so well recorded and the tone of the fortepiano(s) he used is simply beautiful. Highly recommended!!!

B00066K0HQ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1121738384_.jpg
B000AYYTC6.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1125597654_.jpg
B000H4VVPM.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60651031_.jpg

May 2, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #74 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your enjoyment and edification --

Andras Schiff gave lectures on all Beethoven sonatas

downloadable as podcasts

http://music.guardian.co.uk/classica...943867,00.html

I hope the lectures are better than the recordings he's made of the sonatas which were a bit of a let down!

Right now I'm interested in getting any information about Paul Komen's recordings of the sonatas. I'd really love to pick up Paul Badura-Skoda's set, but they are no longer available.
frown.gif

6179G5Q4AML._AA240_.gif

May 2, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #75 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope the lectures are better than the recordings he's made of the sonatas which were a bit of a let down!

Right now I'm interested in getting any information about Paul Komen's recordings of the sonatas. I'd really love to pick up Paul Badura-Skoda's set, but they are no longer available.
frown.gif

6179G5Q4AML._AA240_.gif

Ah I thought you were completely satisfied with Ronald Brautigam! Paul Komen made about five discs worth of B's sonatas, and there are talks about him completing the set. I don't know when though. I have three out of the five and will order the other two when I make up my mind. I am sure the sound is not going to better that of BIS SACDs, but it more than holds its own I think. A sample is on its way to you (Les Adieux).

I heard a disc or two by Badura-Skoda before giving up on buying more, partly because the instruments he used don't seem to be as well maintained (or restored) as could be, and partly because techncially he is way past it - his fumbling around in demanding passages is so bad it can be cringing to hear. He still has interesting ideas though. I may have kept the Hammerklavier somewhere but obviously have not been looking for it.

B-S was never a great technician to begin with. There is this amusing story about Badura-Skoda and conductor Arthur Rodzinsky which I trust you have heard before.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back