Beethoven Piano Concertos
Jan 16, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #136 of 151
Can't wait for your Dausgaard/Berezovsky review. I've been eyeing those Dausgaard volumes for a long time (all 8 of them), but they are just so expensive. I am hoping that they'll finish up their cycle in a couple of years and that the box set will be available at a reasonable price.

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #137 of 151
Good to know that the Bronfman/Zinman Emperor is out, order placed, thanks bunny!

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #138 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait for your Dausgaard/Berezovsky review. I've been eyeing those Dausgaard volumes for a long time (all 8 of them), but they are just so expensive. I am hoping that they'll finish up their cycle in a couple of years and that the box set will be available at a reasonable price.

I first bought the Pastoral Symphony from the set and was very favorably impressed. Swift tempos keep it from over sweetness (a big problem with this symphony), while the transparency of the small ensemble keep the outlines crisp so that you don't feel as if you are drowning in a marshmallow morass of strings. The themes develop so organically that it just flows as naturally as breathing in and out which isn't always the case when the tempos are on the fast side.d I only wish that I had enough technical expertise to really disect it.

May 30, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #139 of 151
I finally received the last installment of the David Zinman/Yefim Bronfman Beethoven piano concerti, and it is excellent. This cycle represents the best bargain in Beethoven piano concertos around. Highly recommended!

61UWPiF8tFL._SS500_.jpg

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #141 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugesh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have concertos-3&5 by Serkin/Bernstein (Sony). It sounds excellent. Did anyone try this?

Yes I have it and agree it is excellent, wonderful blending of styles.......try to get Glenn Gould Beethoven PC set for similar oldie but goodie with Bernstein:

51gX85grZIL._AA240_.jpg

Bernstein 2,3,4
Golschmann 1
Stokowski 5

Gould does wonderful opening runs on Emperor Concerto that are just sublime, there is another Gould Emperor PC done with Ancerl that is even finer performance but sound is weaker (Canada TV show soundtrack)

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #142 of 151
I would like to share few things happened in the last week.

After reading the suggestions, I purchased Fleischer/Szell/CSO set last week. I find Fleisher's piano sounds distant while the orchestra sounds grand and excellent. Piano is more or less mono sounding and not blending well with the Orch. I can't say I like this set.

Meanwhile, I found Perhia/Haintink's No.3,4 & 5 (not single set but 2 spearate CDs) in my community library. Both sound quality and piano playing are EXCELLENT. This CD really immersed me into the music. Perahia's version of No.5 is definitely lot better than Fleischer's. I'm going to purchase these CDs.

Along with Perahia's I brought No.1 & 2 by Lars Vogt on EMI from library. This CD is also a good pick. Very nice sounding one.

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #143 of 151
Another new set underway to keep an eye on, Anderszewski/Virgin

31kgmqq0USL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I have ordered 1st CD after hearing samples of CD above, sounds very promising, tough to stand out in a very crowded field of excellent versions. Uses smaller orchestra in a hybrid HIP style so it sounds fresh and vital.
Would like to also see Andsnes take a shot at these soon with same group he is using for his Mozart concertos.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #144 of 151
Another to watch for is the Yevgeny Sudbin piano concertos in SACD with Vänskä and the Minnesota Orch (announced on the Minnesota Orch. website). They are going to be releasing them over the next five years (too long!). Check out Sudbin's Tchaikovsky/Mendtner concertos - just wonderful! You can hear sound clips at the Bis website.

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #145 of 151
Bunny
I see where the entire Pletnev/DG set of piano concertos is now completed, seems to be better rated than his recent Beethoven symphony set, have you checked into it.........

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #146 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bunny
I see where the entire Pletnev/DG set of piano concertos is now completed, seems to be better rated than his recent Beethoven symphony set, have you checked into it.........

No. While I like Pletnev very much in later romantic and especially Russian repertoire, I am very hesitant about his Beethoven. Beethoven more than any other classical/early romantic composer needs to be played closely to the score and Pletnev can be extremely idiosyncratic in his liberties. I don't like it when conductors or soloists think they know Beethoven's music better than Beethoven did!

This is a set that I'm not going to pull the trigger on for some time -- if ever. As I noted before, I'm much more interested in Sudbin's future cycle. Vänskä is a proven Beethovenian of stature and Sudbin is a remarkable pianist. Moreover, he demonstrated with his debut cd of Scarlatti that he is more than a brilliant virtuoso; he is a very disciplined musician. Until then, I'll content myself with the Bronfman/Zinman concertos, which were well priced as well as being excellent. I'd recommend the Uchida/Sanderling concertos ahead of Pletnev at this point if one isn't content with the Fleisher/Szell nor either of the Pollini cycles.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #147 of 151
Just listened to some of the samples of the Pletnev, and my reaction wasn't that favorable. Very heavy pedal use seems to obscure a lot of the passage work which is, indeed, lightning fast. However, just being able to play fast with the dampers up isn't going to sell me the performance. I'm waiting for more critical assessment. The orchestra sounds good, though.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #148 of 151
I second those, I always liked them.
For the 3rd, there is as well the version with Karajan (yes they did !!!)
Lionel

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I have it and agree it is excellent, wonderful blending of styles.......try to get Glenn Gould Beethoven PC set for similar oldie but goodie with Bernstein:

51gX85grZIL._AA240_.jpg

Bernstein 2,3,4
Golschmann 1
Stokowski 5

Gould does wonderful opening runs on Emperor Concerto that are just sublime, there is another Gould Emperor PC done with Ancerl that is even finer performance but sound is weaker (Canada TV show soundtrack)

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #150 of 151
It's been a little slow on the classical music front here, but in case you haven't seen it, an interesting recording of the Beethoven Piano Concertos that I think people here will enjoy is going to be released soon.

Mackerras/SCO (and Linn), the forces that brought us the amazing Mozart symphonies, are back for Beethoven Piano Concertos 3-5.

See article here. Samples on Linn's site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back