Been thinking about buying a REGA PLANET to use with my Grado's
Jul 3, 2006 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

courierdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone here use this player with their Grado's? I'm looking to upgrade my front-end, and have admired it for years (I have also had a severe-case of buyer's-remorse...since, several years ago; I passed it up for a more expensive Rotel).

I like the forward sound of my Grado's. The same sound signature as the Planet. Would the combo be too-much?
eek.gif

If you own a Planet (or maybe an Apollo), and use Grado's...any thoughts or comments on the combo, would be much appreciated!

Thanks, y'all! Peace!

Jul 4, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 12
I used a Planet 2000 and RS225's with a Yamaha RX777 receiver, and later a RA1. Nice detailed CD player that you can find now at a good price. You can tailor the sound a bit with your choice of interconnects and Todd's flats.

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarconiSalad
I used a Planet 2000 and RS225's with a Yamaha RX777 receiver, and later a RA1. Nice detailed CD player that you can find now at a good price. You can tailor the sound a bit with your choice of interconnects and Todd's flats.

Thanks, MarconiSalad
biggrin.gif
! I kinda thought it might be a good source/headphone combo
wink.gif
I've had the opportunity to listen to a Planet numerous times in the past, in home audio based setups; and have always been impressed at how music (especially rock, jazz, pop, rap, dance) had great rhythm, and drive. It also had the ability to draw me into whatever music was playing on it, and forget about the gear.

Could you (or anyone else) tell me if it will play CD-R/W's?
confused.gif
Over the past few years, I've amassed quite a number of home-burned CD's (both in Audio-CD and MP3-file format). It'd be nice, if it could at least play the Audio-CD ones. Thanks for your response! Peace!

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Could you (or anyone else) tell me if it will play CD-R/W's? Over the past few years, I've amassed quite a number of home-burned CD's (both in Audio-CD and MP3-file format). It'd be nice, if it could at least play the Audio-CD ones. Thanks for your response! Peace!

I've got a planet. It does play audio CD-R/W's without problems, but not MP3s.

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
I've got a planet. It does play audio CD-R/W's without problems, but not MP3s.

Thanks, dura! That's great news for me!

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 12
The only thing I'd like to hear more from with my RS-1's and Old school tank rega planet is a bit more bass, and possibly a fuller soundstage. Other than that its been brilliant with the SLAM, Rega and Grado combo.

Been thinking about upgrading to something higher up th price chain but to be honest it would have to be very good now to make me part with my cash.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Even my late '99 Planet did play back CD-Rs. Great combo with Grados, especially because of its well rounded highs and full bodied mids.

That sounds EXACTLY what I need for some of the CD-R's I own...well-rounded highs!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
The only thing I'd like to hear more from with my RS-1's and Old school tank rega planet is a bit more bass, and possibly a fuller soundstage. Other than that its been brilliant with the SLAM, Rega and Grado combo.

Been thinking about upgrading to something higher up th price chain but to be honest it would have to be very good now to make me part with my cash.
biggrin.gif

I have been admiring Singlepower products for a couple of months now (I have their webpage stored in my internet "Favourites"), but sadly; my living accomodations don't practically-support tube gear. I also own a cat
rolleyes.gif
. So, I'd be looking more towards something solid-state, if I were looking to upgrade my amp. Tubes just don't like dust and cat hair
tongue.gif

I'm glad to hear that the Planet makes a good-source with Grado's, though. Hopefully, my bonus will be in soon; and I can afford to buy one
biggrin.gif
!

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver
Thanks, dura! That's great news for me!

By the way, if that's a major consideration for you in buying players, from my experience, you can generally shoehorn supposed non-CD-R supporting players into playing them buy burning the Audio CDs slowly (4X or lower usually works for me like a charm).

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
By the way, if that's a major consideration for you in buying players, from my experience, you can generally shoehorn supposed non-CD-R supporting players into playing them buy burning the Audio CDs slowly (4X or lower usually works for me like a charm).

Hey, thanks for the tip!
biggrin.gif
I'll try that next time I burn one.

Jul 9, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 12
Not positive, but I think the new Rega Apollo plays mp3 discs. It sounds pretty darned good too! But that was with Anthony Gallo 3.1 speakers so that might have had something to do with it
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Not positive, but I think the new Rega Apollo plays mp3 discs. It sounds pretty darned good too! But that was with Anthony Gallo 3.1 speakers so that might have had something to do with it
biggrin.gif

I'll bet it did! I've never had a chance to listen to Gallo's, but I've read some great reviews about them in the past. Sadly, I think an Appolo is out of my price-range. I can only afford to spend about $400-US on a source. I'm keeping a lookout in the FS forums, and on ebay; so hopefully I can track down a Planet soon. I don't care so-much if the Rega's don't play MP3 data-files...but I do want them to play burned audio discs; which previous posters have confirmed that the Planet does.

I can always burn an audio-only CD, of the MP3 data file, if I really need to. Most of the music I listen to, has already been burned onto disc, in audio-format. This way, I can listen to my tunes on almost anything currently out there...even cheap "ghetto-blaster"-type units. If I win the lottery, or someone wants to "give" me their Apollo for $400-bucks, I'd definitely consider it, though! LOL!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back