Been searching for headphones for a while, looking for some experinced info
Jun 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bucknation

New Head-Fier
Hey, Ive been searching and reading for months now but i think its now time to get some help of my own, Im looking for a great pair of headphones with a budget around $200. These will be used mostly at home with a Technics 1200mk2  attached to a vintage Technics sa-200 but id love to be able to use it on the train with my ipod touch as well. I listen to a wide range of music but most of the vinyl i buy is hip hop instrumentals such as J Dilla and Pete rock, some rock and electronic synth heavy music but I have some soft folk albums as well such as Ray Lamontage and The Fleet Foxes. So I'm looking for a pair of cans that will fit well with some or all of these genres, any help would be awesome!

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 6
The V-Moda 80 are available in small onear size and fullsize closedback size and they sound so amazing (almost near fullsize openback headphones) and they will match well with these genres music, plus they isolate outside noise and mids, high are crisp, clear with deep punchy bass and wider soundstage.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 6
I just bought Dilla's Donuts album on vinyl....
smile_phones.gif

Anyway, I'd recommend Grado SR 225i's for listening to anything on vinyl. They don't have that much bass though, so they might be a bit lacking for hip-hop tracks. But these cans are amazing for rock, and in general, just make everything on vinyl sound real good. Also, Grado's aren't the most comfortable headphone for long listening sessions. Try them out for yourself to see.

Also within your budget is the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. They are an open headphone like the Grado, but with fantastic bass, which does well with hip-hop. These are some of the most comfortable headpohnes I've ever used.

Neither of these (or any open headphone) would be good for public use like on a train, as they leak a lot of sound, and worse, they do not isolate (you'll be able to hear everything around you). If you want to go with a closed headphone at the same price, you sacrifice better sounding cans for the sake of being able to use them out. So, I'd suggest getting a good set for home use, and maybe a cheaper pair of buds/ IEM's for on the train (I suppose that decision depends on how much you'd use them out and about though). The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 are pretty good for a closed set; and while they are not very portable (they are big and do not fold down), I use mine occasionally as portable cans.They are also listenable on an ipod or similar device without an amp, and can be driven to pretty loud levels.

Try and audition the 3 above, or buy from a store with a good return policy in case you don't like how how a headphone sounds.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 6
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 pros look great, glad I came on here, wouldnt of even thought of those. I was looking at Aiaiai's Tma-1 but these like look they will perform much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back