Been reading about this: publishers going lengths to manipulate review scores. Scary
Oct 14, 2013 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sa_ill

Head-Fier
I kind of already knew this was happening, but came across this article which explains it in detail:

So this is how big publishers like Rockstar Games manipulate their review scores. The studio's bonuses are also judged by the overall score on Metacritic.

An interesting read:

Link

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 6
Exactly! I mean GTA V has already sold 10 million copies but Rockstar still cant stand a mere 7.5.

Pathetic!

Sometimes you do wonder whether you should believe what the media says or not.

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 6
Rockstar isn't a publisher. They are a developer. Not sure if they or even Take-Two (they are the publisher IIRC) had anything to do with it. Sometimes even two different branches of a big company don't exactly know what the second the other one does, leave alone a totally different company that just bought distribution rights and sells your games. So wouldn't go as far as blaming them specifically.

Still, the situation is sh.itty and known for years. Both from the side of the carrot (see Call Of Duty review events for example) and the stick, with situations as those. And not only with games - Apple banned Gizmodo from their press events. New York Times as well. Probably happens in other media, too. Sad. Only hope is to find smaller media outlets that seem trustworthy enough and stick to them.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Follow the money.... and with GTA V there's a gigantic wadge of it. Sorry, but games like these, with humongous development costs and enormous profit margins will always have the little go-betweens nibbling away for their piece of the action. At least in India they're honest about it :)

It's not even large title's.. I'm sure all games, essentially being a commodity are treated like this in some form or another, somewhere along the chain.

Review sites .... which ones are honest and untainted? Now there's a list I'd like to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back