been out of the scene for a while, need new amp....
Jan 28, 2008 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been out of the head-fi scene for quite a while now (9 months maybe?), and I'm looking to get a new amp. Last amp I bought was a Go-Vibe V5 when I sold my Hornet to get back into guitar playing/building. The Hornet was a much better amp (more body, bass, impact, etc.), and now I sort of regret getting rid of it.

If I want really good sound quality for a portable setup (pcdp or iPod) with my Beyer DT150's, would the Rockhopper Audio Mini3 amp be a good choice on a "$200 and under" budget? Would it be comparable to the Hornet I had about 9 months ago?

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 7
A D2 is also a good contender for that price range.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been out of the head-fi scene for quite a while now (9 months maybe?), and I'm looking to get a new amp. Last amp I bought was a Go-Vibe V5 when I sold my Hornet to get back into guitar playing/building. The Hornet was a much better amp (more body, bass, impact, etc.), and now I sort of regret getting rid of it.

If I want really good sound quality for a portable setup (pcdp or iPod) with my Beyer DT150's, would the Rockhopper Audio Mini3 amp be a good choice on a "$200 and under" budget? Would it be comparable to the Hornet I had about 9 months ago?

Why not just look for a used Hornet that you like so much? Otherwise, I have read good things about your amp choice.

There are plenty of good amps out there for under $200 now. I particularly like the Meier Headsix and Headstage Lyrix Total Pro that I own, which fall in the under $200 price range. The Headsix is smaller than a Hornet too, with 2 of the three dimensions are the same as Tomahawk, and the depth is only 3/4" more, making it the same size as my Predator (out of your stated price range).

As for the D2, it isn't even out for another month. Not sure why it is being recommended unheard. I did have the iBasso P2 which sounds wonderful, but alas, it died twice and they are out of stock and offered a refund instead.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 7
I definitely think that a mini cubed is going to compare well against a Hornet.

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 7
Main reason I don't want to get another Hornet is because the Mini3 is reported to sound as good (or better, depending on who you're talking to), so I figure why spend almost 3x the money?

I may have to read up on the Headsix a little more too.

How does the Minibox-E compare to the Mini3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back