been out of the scene for 10 months now
Jun 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KinesongPayaso

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking for a new toy that i could replace my K81djs with

These are my criterion: (ranked from highest to lowest importance)

1) Closed, Noise Isolation

2) Something that has the Tri-Axis Swivel feature. This wasnt highlighted in the K81dj, but damn, this feature is awesome, gave GREAT comfort. So much so that I could wear K81dj's for more than 4 hours continuously. I would just swivel it forward, backward or let it sit right on top of my ears, depending on where most of the blood clot is happening (K81dj vice like grip, it hurts). Awesome

3) Circum aural. Been using K81dj's for over a year, and I think i wanna switch from a supra to circum. It just might be more preferable

I dont know how good a tight seal Circum-aurals make around your ears, but I hope its pretty tight, so that no hint of outside noise comes in. Being a K81dj, im spoiled of the great noise isolation, and sort-of used to the tight grip it makes. So a tight circum-aural suggestion might be good

4) Long Cable - a big issue people had with K81s, but honestly, I would rather have the flexibility of having the option of long distance, and bear the burden of thinking up new ways to tie the cable around itself, so that its not so messy
biggrin.gif

Another plus would be for the Movies. I want good sounds while i sit back far away, enjoying a nice sofa

5) Softer foaming than K81djs
I think have softer foam cushions would mean it would MOLD into and around my eyes; whereas harder cushions would squish my ear to confrom to the foam's shape

[[Im not sure how circum aural feels with very soft cushions, but I put this soft foam cushion criteria, in case an exceptional Supra aural suggestion comes by]]

Other notes:
5'6 guy with a round head, used the 9-10 notch on the K81dj slider/adjusting headband

I dont think i've got a big head; there are LOADS of dudes out there with much bigger domes than I do, but I think im just more comfy with the 9-10 notch

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 9
Strange that you seem to look for nothing but physical features. You should choose some crap sounding boom boom redneck DJ can consequently.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 9
It's already a given that im asking for headphones with great sound quality

are there discussions here about crappy listening devices?? Does anyone here ask for those?

ya, I didnt think so

Before some wise ass posts::

Yes, price: Performance ratio has been established in my head since I was 8. Price range: 80-250 US With an upper cap buffer of 150 in 2 months (Meaning i could shell out up to 400 in August)

Listen to mostly Metal, but I cover the whole spectrum of musical genres

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Yes, of course there's only two sorts, good sounding and bad sounding...oh my dear...
rolleyes.gif

We have neutral and bassy, laidback and forward, shriller and darker, high ohm and low ohm, ...

Did you get the point now, or am I still too wise?

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 9
Go with the M-audio Q40s. The cheapest they are going for on ebay is $90 total if you are in the U.S.
Plus if you love the bass of the K81s then you'll definitely love the nice bass of the Q40s. It has all the features you mentioned except the swivel cups. But you don't need the swivel since the Q40s are so much more comfortable than the K81s. I used to have the K81s but gave them to my sister. And they sound so much better, it's a nobrainer upgrade.

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should choose some crapsounding boom boom redneck DJ can consequently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KinesongPayaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there discussions here about crappy listening devices??

OHOHOHO Try again kid, you failed
I echoed the exact same word you said, and now you try to criticize me on it? lulz, learn to set up traps better kid.

OHOHOHOHOHO

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, of course there's only two sorts, good sounding and bad sounding...oh my dear...
rolleyes.gif

We have neutral and bassy, laidback and forward, shriller and darker, high ohm and low ohm, ...

Did you get the point now, or am I still too wise?

I wasnt the one that carelessly implied that there was only good sound quality and crap quality, you did. You trying for a comeback with specifics didnt help much. Sorry kid, but your delusion of being wise is just that, a delusion. lulz now go troll somewhere else, mkay?

Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with the M-audio Q40s. The cheapest they are going for on ebay is $90 total if you are in the U.S.
Plus if you love the bass of the K81s then you'll definitely love the nice bass of the Q40s. It has all the features you mentioned except the swivel cups. But you don't need the swivel since the Q40s are so much more comfortable than the K81s. I used to have the K81s but gave them to my sister. And they sound so much better, it's a nobrainer upgrade.

Thanks a lot for the great suggestion

Lower cost than I was expecting
Have nearly all the criteria down
Just as, or more comfy
First hand experience of owning, using and switching from K81 to this Q40
Better sound quality for basically the same price range

awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 9
Tried looking at nearby stores here for Q40s. All no stock

While im still waiting for word, would you mind listing some stuff that you weren't satisfied with with this HeadPhone? Thanks

Also, other recommendations would be great guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back