Been out of the headphone game for a while, looking for some new cans to upgrade from my a900's
Nov 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
My a900's recently broke (my fault), but I enjoyed them for many years. Now I'm looking for an upgrade, somewhere in the 300$ range. Right now I have only a fiio e7 DAC/amp to drive them, and I'd rather not spend a ton on a new amp. I could possibly go for a fiio e9 for an amp, since it will work with my e7, if it's really required.

So about the headphones, I've mainly been looking at beyerdynamic dt880's or sennheiser hd650 (really wish I had caught that deal on the hd650's the other day :/ ). These two appeal to me as being not too colored, but the hd650's reputation as laid back and non-fatiguing is attractive. I've also heard really good things about the 880's as well.

So I'm curious which of these two is preferable? I realize the hd650's are more expensive, but I'm hoping to catch another deal on them some time before christmas. I'm also open to suggestions of anything else in a similar price range, I've been out of the headphone game for a little while so I'm not quite up to date on headphones in this budget range.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Greg

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
My a900's recently broke (my fault), but I enjoyed them for many years. Now I'm looking for an upgrade, somewhere in the 300$ range. Right now I have only a fiio e7 DAC/amp to drive them, and I'd rather not spend a ton on a new amp. I could possibly go for a fiio e9 for an amp, since it will work with my e7, if it's really required.
So about the headphones, I've mainly been looking at beyerdynamic dt880's or Sennheiser HD650 (really wish I had caught that deal on the hd650's the other day :/ ). These two appeal to me as being not too colored, but the hd650's reputation as laid back and non-fatiguing is attractive. I've also heard really good things about the 880's as well.
So I'm curious which of these two is preferable? I realize the hd650's are more expensive, but I'm hoping to catch another deal on them some time before Christmas. I'm also open to suggestions of anything else in a similar price range, I've been out of the headphone game for a little while so I'm not quite up to date on headphones in this budget range.
Any input or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Audio Technica ATH-A900X, very easy for your Fiio E7 to drive, the A900Xs may need a little break in time to sound better then the A900s.

Used ones on eBay, current bid is $81.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-a900x-headphones-/110980065935?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item19d6ed6a8f

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 5
I was considering those, but kind of want something different and a bit of an upgrade from my a900's, wouldn't those be very similar?

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the DT 990's which are the bassier brother of the DT 880, and for me the top of the headband begins to hurt my head after extended usage. I've heard of other people having the same problem, but its odd because the general consensus seems to say that they are extremely comfortable.. i beg to differ.

The HD600's got an A+ value rating, so did the DT880's and the AD900's. (chart at bottom of page) While this reviewer didnt like the Q/K 701's, some people like them a lot and offer the largest sound stage.

But again, my personal experience with the Beyerdynamics are that they are uncomfortable. 

Maybe this Post will help.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I was considering those, but kind of want something different and a bit of an upgrade from my a900's, wouldn't those be very similar?

The A900Xs are just so sweet sounding :) I paid $256 for mine are was thinking of returning them because the springs that control the wings are a little weak.
(or I should say the way the wings are held in the box gives the springs metal memory in the wrong position)
and the headphone like to slip down my head and rest on the top of my ears, so I figured $256 was not a good value for them, but I could not find a few pieces of the box and did not want to pay a restocking fee on top of the return shipping fee.
But if i had paid less then $200 for them originally I would have felt i got a better value on the A900X.

The Senn HD650 I've heard sound best when back up by solid amping, so I'm thinking the E7 may not bring out their best.
The DT880 250-Ohm might be a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back