Been out of the headphone game for 2 years. Help me get back on the wagon!
Feb 19, 2016 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RMac

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't had much time for high end audio but I would love to jump back into the game.  

You can check my profile for the gear that I've had in the past but here's a brief summary:  I got started with the Sony MDR-V6 like 8 years ago and have been learning about headphones ever since.  My favorite headphone thus far was the Hifiman HE-400.  Right now I have a Denon D600 and a Fiio E17.

I'll be in the market for a new set of cans and a new DAC/amp combination, but here's where I'm asking for help.  Budget is flexible but ideally I'd like to get the cans under 500 and the DAC/amp in the $300-$400 range. Budget can be flexible as I'm not looking to purchase right away.  

My genres of choice lately have been tons of indie rock and rap music.    I've taken to some oldies as well, and I love female vocalists.
In a sound signature, I favor detail and separation of instruments.  But my genres tend to have tons of bass as well, so I'd love to have strong bass response.

I have been considering the Sennheiser 600/650, which I know have the "veil" but tend to do well with acoustic music and vocals.
I have been considering the Philips Fidelio X2 because I read it is a very fun sound sig with great bass, which would do well with rap music.
Finally, I have been curious since day 1 how well the Audeze LCD-2 sounds.  Alleged comfort issues aside, it's a Planar which I love, and I heard it has some of the best bass out of any headphone out there, without being overly bassy.  

I don't have a preference for the DAC/amp, but it's nice when it's in one box.  I typically prefer USB support but I wonder if optical is worth a try.  
I've been looking at the Schiit Magni+Modi Uber 2s but not much else.  I know it's a stack but I don't know what is good in the all-in-one market in my price range.

Any help/comments are appreciated.  Thanks!

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 10
  I haven't had much time for high end audio but I would love to jump back into the game.  

You can check my profile for the gear that I've had in the past but here's a brief summary:  I got started with the Sony MDR-V6 like 8 years ago and have been learning about headphones ever since.  My favorite headphone thus far was the Hifiman HE-400.  Right now I have a Denon D600 and a Fiio E17.

I'll be in the market for a new set of cans and a new DAC/amp combination, but here's where I'm asking for help.  Budget is flexible but ideally I'd like to get the cans under 500 and the DAC/amp in the $300-$400 range. Budget can be flexible as I'm not looking to purchase right away.  

My genres of choice lately have been tons of indie rock and rap music.    I've taken to some oldies as well, and I love female vocalists.
In a sound signature, I favor detail and separation of instruments.  But my genres tend to have tons of bass as well, so I'd love to have strong bass response.

I have been considering the Sennheiser 600/650, which I know have the "veil" but tend to do well with acoustic music and vocals.
I have been considering the Philips Fidelio X2 because I read it is a very fun sound sig with great bass, which would do well with rap music.
Finally, I have been curious since day 1 how well the Audeze LCD-2 sounds.  Alleged comfort issues aside, it's a Planar which I love, and I heard it has some of the best bass out of any headphone out there, without being overly bassy.  

I don't have a preference for the DAC/amp, but it's nice when it's in one box.  I typically prefer USB support but I wonder if optical is worth a try.  
I've been looking at the Schiit Magni+Modi Uber 2s but not much else.  I know it's a stack but I don't know what is good in the all-in-one market in my price range.

Any help/comments are appreciated.  Thanks!

you loved the HE-400 why not get a used HE-500 and a vintage speaker amp?

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 10
 you loved the HE-400 why not get a used HE-500 and a vintage speaker amp?

I had the HE-500's before. Its sound sig wasn't quite for me. Sounded less "fun" to my ears. Do you have any experience with the 400i or the 560?

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 10
How deep into Virginia are you? There's a meet at Annandale, VA just a week from today, with everything you mentioned: 600/650, X2, LCD-2

And yes, there will be DACs and AMPs 
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 10
How deep into Virginia are you? There's a meet at Annandale, VA just a week from today, with everything you mentioned: 600/650, X2, LCD-2

And yes, there will be DACs and AMPs :D  

I saw! Such short notice but I really might have to do it.... it's a three hour drive from where I live though.

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 10
I saw! Such short notice but I really might have to do it.... it's a three hour drive from where I live though.

We may have to make some VIP badges, kinda like priority for the long distance people. I'll introduce you to Amar, who handles the badges 
biggrin.gif

Really hope you can make it though, even if for just a short while. Always best to hear with your own ears. If you make it, come on by - I used to have the large pile of black Schiit, now down to just a black Gungnir.

C'ya!

Feb 20, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 10
+1 on the HD600, HD650, & X2. I like all three of these. I have no issues with any "veil," the 600s are well over 10 years old and they're still going strong.

The X2 might be a better match for the Magni/Modi stack. 30 Ohm impedence versus 300 Ohm of the 600/650.
Nothing wrong with the stack approach, allows you to upgrade either the dac or amp individually. There will always be upgrades!
I'm using all three of these headphones with Schiit amps and dac.

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 10
I had the HE-500's before. Its sound sig wasn't quite for me. Sounded less "fun" to my ears. Do you have any experience with the 400i or the 560?

I thought the 400i wasn't bad and it reminded me of the 500 and i thought the 560 was less fun than the 500 so you might not like those at all YMMV

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Alright guys, so after reading all week I've got my eyes on the Chord Mojo for source/amplification.  It's getting great praise for price to performance (and that's saying something, as I've never spent over $300 on a dac, amp, or dac/amp combo) so i'm thinking it might be an upgrade worth looking into.  Is there anything else I should be looking into the sub $600 range?  I'm already considering ifi's products as well, namely the iDSD.

As far as headphones are concerned, I'm heavily leaning toward the Philips X2, though with the X2's quality control issues as they are right now, it might be between the hifiman 400i vs. sennheiser 600/650.  are there any headphones sub-$500 range I should be looking at?  the Audioquest Nighthawk looks interesting but a little beyond budget.  I'll also be going to the headphone meet on Saturday so maybe I'll actually be able to report back with some impressions for anyone else who's watching this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back