Been out of the head-fi loop, RE-400 is on special, still a good purchase?
Nov 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Modulus

Head-Fier
The last time I was active I considered getting the RE-400, somehow that didn't happen because I was quite happy with my modified ZMF Fostex T50RP and AudioGD dac/amp unit.

Anyways, I got the HiFiMan email with the black Friday specials and the RE-400 is down to $79 dollar.

Suddenly I've got $79 burning a hole in my pocket.

But I've been out of the loop and don't know anything about IEMs anymore, so the question is: are these little guys still ruling the roost as high quality cheap IEMs? What would you guys recommend, even if I allowed my budget to stretch a little, is this a killer deal?

Cheers!

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 6
No opinions about the RE-400, and IEMs around this price point?

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Yeahp. It's great at $99; it's killer at $79. I'm currently borrowing my friends RE400 and the pairing with my iFi Micro iDSD is just lovely… to the point I "accidentally forgot" to meet him today to give it back 
biggrin.gif
 |joker| still rates them over the newer and cheaper high price to performance ratio IEMs such as the VSonic VSD3S, Havi B3 Pro, Ostry KC06. However, maybe those will appeal more to your preferred sound signature? http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-vsonic-vsd3s-ostry-kc06-havi-b3-pro/

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for that link! I obviously read the whole page, bringing back memories of late nights poring over detailed reviews of the fine nuances between headphones 
etysmile.gif

But honestly it's so confusing launching into these comparrisons, and time consuming. The cable issue with the RE400 is a put-off, and I also tend to enjoy a slight v shape, so maybe the RE400 is not for me. the vsonic look rather good, but I am very put off by sibilance, and I also enjoy the straight forward fitting approach of regular, non- over the ear buds.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 6
More sub-bass would be perfect along with the hope it wouldn't warm the mids. I actually like how the treble was rolled off on the RE400. Enough grit to enjoy rock but not too much that you'd have to turn the volume lower thus making the midrange too soft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back