Been lurking...
Aug 7, 2009 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SungTong

New Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to the headphone game. I'm a huge musician, and music takes up a large portion of my time, so I decided it's time to blow some cash on some decent cans (I have a decent set of logitech 2.1 speakers- well, decent by my standards as I'm no audiophile - yet). I need some closed cans - knowing this, I narrowed it down to the Audiotechnica Es7 or the Denon 1001.

I prefer closed just to have the option of portability, even though I will be using the phones for home use as well. I read that the audiotechnica's offer a bit more isolation than the Denon's, which is a plus. Though the common concurrence on here is that the Denon's are incredibly comfy.

Bottom line is I can't decide which to get. The Audiotechnica's are a small margin cheaper refurbished with a warranty from J&R, but I don't want to jump too soon before getting a decent opinion. I listen to a VERY wide range of music - Folk, rock, rap, hip hop, trance, house, IDM, jazz, classical, you name it I probably listen. So I guess versatility is a huge plus. If anyone can help me make a choice or suggest some better headphones, it'd be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 10
D1001 is hands down a better phone than the ES7 in my book. If you don't need the folding and portability that the ES7 brings, then go with the denons for sure.

Also, I assume that your username is taken from the Animal Collective album? That one is a favorite of mine.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Right you are, also a favorite of mine.

I forgot to mention the primary sources of audio will be my ipod and macbook (unamped)

How much of a difference in isolation is there in the Denon's? Basically, how well will the person sitting next to me be able to hear my music?

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 10
I think the general consensus is that both of these headphones don't isolate all that well (sound will get in) but they don't really leak sound at all at reasonable volumes.

With that said, I love my ES7s. I think they have a somewhat forward sound, which may become fatiguing for longer listening. The Denons I believe are supposed to be more laid back with emphasis on bass, but I don't have first hand experience.

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 10
2411751797_943a3f031c_o.jpg

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2411751797_943a3f031c_o.jpg

Oh, that's a bit unkind. There're far worse newbie posts that go completely unremarked...this is one of the better newbie posts I've seen, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back