Been in the neighborhood for a while but I'm still lost!!
Apr 23, 2006 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, I've been here quite a while, and have owned K240S, K701, DT880, & HD650. I had to sell everything a month or so ago because I needed a new car.

Well, I have found a new car and have a new job and want some new cans. The thing is, I have no idea where to go now. Ok, I have some idea but still need some help.

I have liked certain things about all the headphones I've owned but there have been things that have "bugged" me about them also.

I would like to try out Grado's but the peircing high thing kind of scares me off. I can't really take sharp highs, they have to be smooth. BUT...I like when drums are crisp (I guess that's the word to use
confused.gif
) and it kind of smacks you in the face. So the only Grados I might be interested in are the RS series.

I liked the soundstage, highs, & lows of the 880's but the "body" of it was kind of missing. That made me get the 650's which definately added body and bass, but then was missing the beautiful high end of the 880's. Next came the 701's, they seemed to be "The One" but it still seemed to be a couple of rows back, which I didn't mind except when I listened to rock. I also seemed to miss the 650 at times when listening the the 701's. Also the cable covering bugged me because it felt like it could be slid a tiny bit over the wires inside and would get all tangled up on me.

So, through all of this I am stuck at not knowing what to do. I know I could be happy with the ones I've used before, but should I go down the Grado road? I don't know if I want the aggresivness of them all the time but then again I don't want the laidbackness of the other ones all the time.

Where should I go?
What should I do?

Oh yeah, for now and probably quite a while whatever phones I get will be used out of a Pioneer Elite A-35 R. (Integrated amp w/ a respected headphone out.)

Thanks guys!!

Apr 24, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Why not try some of the AT's?

Hmmm, that thought never really crossed my mind. I don't know really where to start in their line-up.

Apr 24, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Hmmm, that thought never really crossed my mind. I don't know really where to start in their line-up.

A lot of people are going to tell you to go for the A900. Give that a try, I guess. I spent a bunch of time with a bunch of ATH cans... and if you want ATH sound that compares with what you got from your previous headphones I would try the W5000. Pricey, yes. Great? Yes.

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 10
swt61, i'm ashamed you didn't mention our beloved DR150s!
evil_smiley.gif
yes, yes - i know. he had some pretty high-end cans but what the hey.

actually, i second swt61's suggestion of trying ATs. different sound signature which i happen to be a fan of.

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Could be you might like the MS-Pro if you are thinking RS-1.Some say it has more mellow highs.

Anyone who touches my RS1's sweet sweet highs is going to get hit in the face with a Beyer 770-80. And I suspect your face is not as durable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back