Been here since 2007, time to upgrade my headphones
Dec 3, 2017 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

serpico

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been a member here for 10 years and it's time to upgrade. I started reading the forums and learning as much as I can about improving my audio environment. I was younger then and didn't have much extra cash to spend and did the best I could.

Years passed and life went on and I was on the forums off and on. Now older with extra funds I wanted to upgrade my listening gear. What I've learned is different headphones sound better with different genres of music. I listen to many genres (streaming services, local files, CD's, vinyl) so I think I'll have a hard time finding one headphone "to rule them all" so to speak.

So I'm looking for an improved experience that is between the Sony studio MDR-7506 (that I use for some genres of older music) and the bass heavy Sony MDR-XB700 (good for electronic, dance and hiphop). I tried listening to U2's new album for example tonight on Spotify at Extreme 320kbit/s with both headphones using the adapter on my iPhone 7 Plus. I just couldn't find that perfect balance because the MDR-7506 was great to hear Bono's voice but so-so with instruments. The MDR-XB700 were louder as they should be but very bass heavy for this genre of music, sometimes muddy.

Currently I use the iPhone 7 Plus as my main music device. I do have the iPod Classic 160GB though I keep it filled with ALAC files connected via USB in my vehicle. I've been away from the scene and now there are Fiio high res devices and others, back then we were trying to hack our iPod's to use a different OS to play FLAC audio files wrapped in rubber bands with our PA2V2 amps!

I'm going to read more threads as time permits but just wanted to get some feedback from the current members of the forum on which headphones I should be looking into. I didn't want to waste time with the old favourites we used to talk about unless they are still valid of course. Thank you.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Listing a budget would be helpful?
Are the headphone going to be used as portables?
For something portable and a little bassy, Audio Technica ATH-WS99 headphones (buy used off eBay).

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 3
Sorry, a budget would help, eh? :)
I was thinking around $500-$600 CAD for headphones. My only question is will any of these headphones require an amp/dac? I'll use these mostly at home, so portable in the sense of moving around the house not travelling to work with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back