Been Gone A Long Time... Looking for something new to try
Jan 20, 2018 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
Jumped back into this hobby after a long layoff. Purchased a Schiit Audio Modi 2 Multibit + Vali 2 combo to update my DAC and Headphone Amp (also bought a Dragonfly Red, but that's for mobile use).

I have a decent collection of headphones - oldies, but goodies. I'm willing to step up to purchase a new headphone (after that, I may step up to get a better amp, followed by getting a better DAC and then stopping for a long time). I'm willing to spend $750 on a new set of headphones.

Of my current stable, my preferences go like this: K601=DT880=HD650>SR80e>=D2000. What should I be looking at as an upgrade over the headphones I currently have?

Looking forward to over-analyzing and over-agonizing prior to making any decision (that may or may not actually come to fruition).

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 10
What quality(ies) do you look for in headphones?

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 10
What quality(ies) do you look for in headphones?
I like a fairly neutral headphone with lush mids, bass extension and tightness, and treble without sibilance. If any sacrifice is made, I don't mind if the high end is slightly rolled off to reduce fatigue. I don't want to go more veiled than the HD650, though, and I don't want anything brighter than the DT880.

Comfort is important, and if the earpads are the kind that tend to get dirty (and aren't easy to wipe clean - like velour pads), I'd like them to be easy to replace/remove.

Relatively easy to drive by the equipment I own (should be in my sig)

I'm partial to black or dark gray for color, but the wood Grados (like RS2e) and their new brown headband are pretty sweet!

I do like my Grado SR80e quite a bit, so I have been thinking about moving up Grado's product line. Grado headphones would seem like a good compliment for my HD650.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 10
HE-500.

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 10
The Vali can drive the HE-500s? If so(I'd be shocked if they can)the HE-500 is an excellent call,but you will need to buy used as theyre discontinued.

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 10
I dont know of any HiFiMan model similar to the HE-500,maybe the HE-6,which is also discontinued and oh BTW the hardest HP on the planet to drive...so that isnt an option here.

The mids on the HE-500 are borderline ethereal,very nice detail with zero sibilance and good slam and decent extension in sub bass.But like most planars they crave juice.

Another option that is a slightly different approach to your request is to invest in a decent OTL tube amp and go grab a vintage Sennheiser HD250,which also fits your description to a tee.Your HD650s will also love you for it. But like the HE-500s the HD250s are discontinued and can be hard to find.If youre willing to go that route with a little patience you can add the HD250 and a good OTL amp for right around your budget....just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back