Been away for a while but need a replacement for my A161 now
Nov 10, 2015 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

idvsego

100+ Head-Fier
I have had a nice rotation consisting of NUForce 600, Soundmagic E10, and Meelec A161 that I used depending on my mood and what I was listening to.  The E10 were stolen a while back and I grabbed a pair of Philips she3290 and then hje125 to fill the gap.  Both were good but the cables drive me crazy.  Then my A161 fell apart.  So now I am looking for a replacement for the E10 and the a161.  I have been away so long that I am a little overwhelmed at the current crop of forum favorites so Ia m looking for a little help.  I dont have a specific budget but will say I havent paid over $100 for a set of IEMs in a really long time.  I do work in an environment where theft is always a possibility and I dont want to be out a ton of money if a set walks away.  $30-50 seems to be a sweet spot but not afraid to go a little higher or little lower (as long as the cable isnt crappy).  Also not opposed to used.

E10 replacement- This one was my go-to set.  Seemed to do pretty well for my tastes in most genres.  Probably got the most eartime of any set.  I would be pretty happy with the HJE125 if the cable wasn't so terrible.  I also really enjoyed the 3590 but same issue.  My leading candidates for replacement have been the Vsonic VSd1S, Vsonic VSD3S, JVC FXT90, and Xiaomi Piston 2.  If I found a great deal I would splurge for a Shure e215, Yamaha EPH100 or Sennheiser Momentum IEM.  My primary listening source is an android phone so the 3 button remotes have some appeal.

A161 replacement - This one didnt get a ton of use because I usually dont like the bass light profile of the "balanced" sound sig.  I think the only reason it did is because of the quality.  So I dont think I would be happy with any balanced IEMs on the super low end of the spectrum.  So far the leading candidates for this are the Philips Fidelios S1/S2 because it sounds like they are put together really well.  The GR07 BE seem to fit what I would want and could possibly be my every day set but I cant justify the price I dont think.

So...any suggestions or feedback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back