Been away for 10+ years - how much has changed - advice for a new headphone please
Nov 21, 2023 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

squall2072

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I have been away for ages, probably well over 10 years to be honest. Finally have my own place and speakers are up (hurrah!) but it is a semi detached so don't want to annoy the neighbours when the sun goes down. I pulled out my old PPX3 SLAM and HD600s and forgot how good those headphones can sound so popped back on the forum to see what was new.

Discovered:

My RS-1 classics and HD600s are practically on the cheap end now.
Mikhail from singlepower did a runner and I ought to check my amp and add some safety resistors
There are a lot of new brands I have never heard of which seem to be well liked

So with this in mind and the research I've done would a new decent set up be driven well by a RME ADI-2 DAC? My current source is a Rega Apollo R.

In terms of headphones, there seem so many!

I still listen to the same stuff, Rock, post rock, classical mostly with some acoustic.

My friend is off to the US and I was going to ask him to pick up a pair of one of the below:

He6se v2 - driven by speaker amp? (audiolab 8300a - 75w to 8 ohms)
Arya Stealth
He1000se
LCD-X
AH-D9200 - not had a closed back before

Any help would be appreciated! Glad to see headfi is still going strong :)

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 10
Wow, 10 years is like a lifetime ago here! I'm not even sure where to begin. :open_mouth:

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Hello! I registered at head-fi a year before you.

As you can see the Planar revolution happened. It started with people saying the Audeze LCD-2 was like a HD650 x2 and went from there, but that is just my recollection.

I too stepped away from headfi for years and only came back when my gear was starting to fall apart.

Anyway I picked up a used HD800 earlier this year and love it, driven off of a RME ADI-2 usually.

Picked up a b-stock Schiit Midgard last week to see what the hype was about. Its a solid little amp.

Like the poster above me I recommend a HD800 and if you want something darker the Audeze LCD-2 Classic is great.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 10
You come from those times when the HD 800 were considered very expensive... Oh... those times... :relieved:

Nah... the HD 800 can still compete with those nowadays insane priced cans...

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 10
I had the same experience 3 years ago when I started to check for new headphones. It's incredible how the market has evolved but this can also be frustrating as there are so many options and finding "your" sound can be very difficult.

to make things even more complicated I would recommend you to have a look at ZMF products:)

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 10
If the HE1000SE is on your list of potential headphones, I'd personally recommend the HE1000 V2 Stealth instead (or the V3 depending on what you'd like to call it) - sonically quite similar to the HEkSE with the added benefit of more punchier bass and of course, a lower price tag :)

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 10
If the HE1000SE is on your list of potential headphones, I'd personally recommend the HE1000 V2 Stealth instead (or the V3 depending on what you'd like to call it) - sonically quite similar to the HEkSE with the added benefit of more punchier bass and of course, a lower price tag :)

Or the Arya Organic maybe

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi all, I have been away for ages, probably well over 10 years to be honest. Finally have my own place and speakers are up (hurrah!) but it is a semi detached so don't want to annoy the neighbours when the sun goes down. I pulled out my old PPX3 SLAM and HD600s and forgot how good those headphones can sound so popped back on the forum to see what was new.

Discovered:

My RS-1 classics and HD600s are practically on the cheap end now.
Mikhail from singlepower did a runner and I ought to check my amp and add some safety resistors
There are a lot of new brands I have never heard of which seem to be well liked

So with this in mind and the research I've done would a new decent set up be driven well by a RME ADI-2 DAC? My current source is a Rega Apollo R.

In terms of headphones, there seem so many!

I still listen to the same stuff, Rock, post rock, classical mostly with some acoustic.

My friend is off to the US and I was going to ask him to pick up a pair of one of the below:

He6se v2 - driven by speaker amp? (audiolab 8300a - 75w to 8 ohms)
Arya Stealth
He1000se
LCD-X
AH-D9200 - not had a closed back before

Any help would be appreciated! Glad to see headfi is still going strong :)
First … keep the RS-1 (Grado?) and the HD600s !! Classics indeed !! New pads for each. F-pads for RS-1, Sennheiser pads for HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back