Bedroom Stereo
Sep 17, 2004 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Headphoneus Supremus
My dad is shopping for a small stereo for his bedroom. He likes things that are sleek (NOT JVC sleek, B&O sleek). The stereo must meet the following criteria.

-must be around $200 USD (preferably under)
-have CD playback (multi-disc capabilities prefered)
-remote
-be available in local stores (we dont have a "fry's" nearby)
-produce "good" sound
-relatively small

Thanks

Sep 17, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 25
You've ruled out any possibility of actual hi-fi gear. For $200 at a Circuit City or Sears or whatever, you can pick up a Sony mini-system, but I doubt there's a good-sounding solution.

Sep 17, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 25
I asked this question a few weeks back and got a few suggestions (you could search in the dedicated sources forum
rolleyes.gif
). The Onkyo CS-210 sounds about right. Stereophile magazine even gave it props. I actually just ordered one today, blindly, but I won't be in that apartment for a few weeks, so I can't really say anything about it except that I'm in the same situation, and I couldn't find anything else in that price range that got anything near a reliable review.

Sep 17, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 25
yeah but he also need speakers which is the big problem. you could probly buy the infinity primus 160's from ebay for around 150 and then if you have a receiver or amp you could use that or just get a vintage marantz or something off ebay.

Sep 17, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 25
The onkyo comes with speakers.

Sep 17, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 25
heck no! But he's got $200. You're not going to get much for a complete system at $200.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 25
well what i suggested would work. The infinity's for 150 off ebay and a vintage marantz integrated for 50 bucks off ebay if he gets lucky. Vintage marantz are just such a good deal.

Sep 17, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 25
He wants B&O style (sleek and modern) and he needs a source too. The works.

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 25
i think he's just asking for too much from 200 dollars. 200 dollars in this world is like pocketchange.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
i think he's just asking for too much from 200 dollars. 200 dollars in this world is like pocketchange.
rolleyes.gif

True that. I worked for a couple years in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and even going to the Central Market there to pick up electronics/audio goods, you really got similar deals to the stuff in bootleg DVD and back-of-the-truck-sale shops in Philadelphia. The only way you really made out was a way better bootleg market, and the occassional jewels in the used markets.

Sep 17, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 25
At this price, if you don't consider online sources...

If you threw in an additional $100, you could probably make it out of here with a Denon mini system. For another $100 you could probably get a Denon mini system with Mission speakers. People around here like them, though I haven't heard them. You kinda have to keep in mind that this is all really pocket change for speakers if you want to stick with minisystems that look ok. JVC has their new wood cone executive system that looks very unique and pretty classy, which runs for $500 at a retail shop but would probably be much less online. I heard it and it sounds ok except I would probably take the treble down a notch with the built in tone controls.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...b=wf&scoring=p

$400. It looks pretty classy if you ask me. Not sleek, but classy. One thing that is deceptive about the pics is that the cabinet for the speakers is actually quite long, so it actually has some decent volume for those 3" drivers. Gives it some decent oomph. You can't tell that at all from the pictures.

Oh yeah, it plays mp3, dvds and dvd-audio too! It also has connections for a subwoofer and even a dac if you wanted.

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 25
If you open up to online sources then you can get a pretty decent set up for $400..

$175 - Pioneer A-35R integrated amplifier
$140 - Audition AS-BS1 loudspeakers
$70? - toshiba 3950(60?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back