Bedroom Setup
Dec 14, 2004 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ixeo

500+ Head-Fier
care to share your bedroom setup?

i'm currently torn between getting a 5.1 setup or stereo setup.. 5.1 mainly for movies..stereo for music.

i guess options i have is
both, logitech z680 for 5.1 & bookshelf+integrated amp
5.1 only - ? i don't have money for a really high end 5.1 setup...
stereo only - better bookshelves+integrated amp

a full blown 5.1 system with floorstanders etc. is kinda overkill for my room since its quite small. the question is, will stereo only be satisfying enough for movies? yeah i know z680 isn't really hi-fi, but for movies i'd rather feel the action (bass) and unlikely pay attention to SQ, as long as speech is clear and the surround effect is there.

also i'm wondering 'what if' i used bookshelves with the z680? dump the 2 logitech front speakers and use the bookshelves with it, is that even possible?

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 24
27 inch JVC tv from 1989(yeah thats right its that old)
Marantz Sr4200 Reciever
JBL N38(main)
JBL S36(surround)
JBL S Center
HSU VTF-2 (only component I plan on keeping, great subwoofer for the price)
Some Cheepo Sony DVD player that gets use as CD player too

All bought before I really knew about HiFi. I wish I had just gotten a decent two channel set up. That said for a kid in high school (when I purchased all this) it was a pretty kick *ss movie system, especially for my tiny bedroom.

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 24
Here 'tis again:
setup.jpg

My system is good enough to satisfy me until some much later date when I really feel like I'm missing out on multichannel movies.

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
care to share your bedroom setup?

also i'm wondering 'what if' i used bookshelves with the z680? dump the 2 logitech front speakers and use the bookshelves with it, is that even possible?

I have no idea if its possible. I guess if you get efficient enough bookshelves it is, but I'm pretty sure the z680 amp would sound like garbage any decent set of speakers. Not to knock your z680's I have some myself.

Dec 14, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 24
You guys are way out of my league with bedroom set ups.
I must not spend enough time in my bedroom to warrant that kind of set up.
Mine is a simple Denon shelf unit attached to a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers. The speakers sit on a long dresser, the player sits on the nightstand, along side of a PPA amp. Sounds good through the speakers and good through the phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
I have no idea if its possible. I guess if you get efficient enough bookshelves it is, but I'm pretty sure the z680 amp would sound like garbage any decent set of speakers. Not to knock your z680's I have some myself.

i don't own z680s yet, so i don't know if its possible. yeah like i said z680 isn't hi-fi but for movies in a small bedroomi believe it serves its purposes

i was thinking from z680 front channel outs -> integrated amp -> bookshelves
OR
5.1 analog out from soundcard, front channels to integrated amp -> bookshelves
and stereo output (audio) to integrated amp -> bookshelves for audio
since the amp has multiple inputs

will the z680 & bookshelves play nice or sound weird
confused.gif

ooheadsoo: huge room you have compared to mine

Dec 14, 2004 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 24
just drop the money on some klipsch pro media 5.1's

honestly some of the best comp speakers ive eve heard and used.

Dec 14, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiskik
just drop the money on some klipsch pro media 5.1's

honestly some of the best comp speakers ive eve heard and used.

i know their great in the Multimedia Speaker arena, but do they even come close to music reproduction against a stereo bookshelf speaker & integrated amp?

i'm looking at Acoustic Energy Aegis One & a decent amplifier, maybe a NAD or a Pioneer. For movies i know both the Klipsch & Logitech will make your room shake..

Dec 14, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 24
it's nothing spectacular, but I love it.
all from memory, so I might fudge a number or two
1974 Pioneer SX424
60's (i think) dual... can't remember the model... sounds awsome though... shure cartridge
60's (i think) Utah Alnico speakers (12"/3"/twtr.... or something)
it's wired to my computer for mp3's and cd's.
and a lot of dust... they all clean now though and under a cover.

bdrm_hi_fi_sm.jpg

Dec 15, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 24
Wow, do you have your turntable sitting on top of your speakers?
redface.gif

Dec 15, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 24
My bedroom rig is my main headphone rig, and happens to be my only current rig at this point (main rig is undergoing SERIOUS overhaul). Here's a shot....and yes, that's a heater/ac unit everything is sitting on
wink.gif
(new york, gotta make do what what space you have!)

34732944.jpg

Dec 15, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Wow, do you have your turntable sitting on top of your speakers?
redface.gif

yeah... is that bad?

Dec 15, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 24
Yo NKT,
Is your set-up sitting on top of AC/heater unit? Doesn't this create vibration for your rig? Or you don't use climate control in the apt...
tongue.gif

home-rig.jpg

I'm in the same situation as you're. Absolutely hate NY apt! No room for anything I like! Naturally this is my bedroom-livingroom-diningroom set up. Obviously I'm NO Donald Trump!

I can't wait to move out of current apt. All upgrades in AV dept. will happen when I move to a new place. Including LCD-TV, DVD-SACD player, 6 surround speakers, multichannel AV processors, 4 Channel power amp.

Dec 15, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 24
you may not be trump, but that's an impressive set up.

oh, and would it be better to put my TT on my reciever? those are pretty much my options there. or maybe I could put it on a platform with hollow rubber pads on top of the speaker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back