Bedroom setup - sound card/receiver/speakers/sub
Jul 20, 2007 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

camms

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I'm heading back to school in the fall and, with some of the money I've earned this summer, would like to improve the quality of my bedroom setup in the house I live in at school.

Room size:
A very small rectangular room - it (just) fits a queen size bed and a desk, I estimate it to be around 8' x 10'.

Current setup:
Laptop headphone out --> Sonic Impact t-amp --> Polk R15 Bookshelves

Ok, so my goal is this - improved sonics, increased headroom, and the addition of a sub. This system is for listening to music, period. I will definitely be watching movies here, but the focus is on music playback.

Potential Avenues:
1. Addition of only a sub: I imagine that without having to handle the bass frequencies, headroom on the t-amp will be much increased.
2. Addition of a receiver to replace the t-amp, as well as a sub.
3. Addition of a USB soundcard and a sub.
4. Addition of both a USB soundcard and receiver (replacing the t-amp) along with a sub.
5. Any of the above options with the added step of replacing my bookshelves.

In terms of a sub I'm thinking along the lines of a HSU VTF-1 ($400), HSU STF-1 ($300), HSU STF-2 ($350), or SVS PB10-NSD ($430). Does anyone have any input? From what I've heard the SVS is not as good for music, and as a result I am leaning towards the HSU offerings, more specifically the most affordable (the STF-1).

I have been using my current setup for two years now and honestly haven't found the quality of the headphone out to be as deplorable as I expected (and I don't have tin ears, I promise!). Still, would the most cost-effective improvement in sonics come from upgrading my source by getting an external sound card? If so, which ones would you recommend?

If you recommend I get a receiver, which receivers specifically do you think would shine in this application?

If you think the Polks suck, which bookshelves would you replace them with? I've heard good things about the av123 X-LS speakers, as well as Swans m200. Would either of these upgrades provide a cost-effective increase in sound quality?

Last but not least - my "max cost" is relative to perceived impact: I'm willing to buck up if you can convince me it's absolutely necessary, but the more affordable your suggestions are, the more likely I am to follow through with them.

Thank you all very much in advance, sorry for the sheer number of questions,
Cam

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Sorry for the huge delay in response.

I'm living in a house with 5 friends, so there's no "max volume" issue or anything. Ideally I'd go with option 1 simply based upon it's affordability - would this provide decent sonics though? Would an amp/receiver be a nice upgrade in terms of sq?

Thanks for the response,
Cam

Jul 31, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 5
Adding a sub will give you the most noticeable difference in sound, especially if you like a solid bottom end to music (and the R15s have weak bass). The movies will certainly benefit from it also. I'm in a similar situation, and that's the route I'm going to take.

Next, if you still have upgrade-itis, would be a soundcard. This will clean up sound a lot.

After that, the speakers. I wouldn't suggest the Swans for this path, or any other active speakers/monitors, because they can't be integrated with the sub easily. X-LS or other passive bookshelves would be great.

You don't need to buy a receiver unless you tire of the T-amp, or want to match speakers.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 5
Excellent, sounds like a plan (sub, then soundcard if need/funds be).

Anyone have any experience with HSU subs? More specifically the STF-1 versus the more complex VTF-1?

Thanks a bunch,
Cam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back