becoming disillusioned with my SA6, where to go from here?
Mar 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i do not own PFE and westone 3, however in the place where i live, i have the privilege to audition them for quite some time without buying. and i do not think westone 3 beats SA6 in mids presentation. Each to his own i guess.

my view of PFE as cold sounding is in comparison with SA6, i didn't spend a lot of time with them tho, and i've done all my auditioning with my iphone 3G headphone out.

oh ya, i used shure olives for all the above, i can never get a good fit with triple flanges as the lowest tip is always too big, for SA6 i can only use the small double flange.

well that will be your whole problem with the W3 tyhen. IMO the shure black foams are the worst tip you could possibly use on the W3. for that matter IMO they suck on the SE530 too. the olives on W3 do not help the bass at all and makes the bass bleed into the midrange; making it seem resessed. tip choice with W3 is IMO the only really big problem. with UM56 they are IMO sublime

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, ck10 are amazing and are a big hit in japan but here and other countries, no one knows them and no one is brave enough to try as the price is nearly double what you get it for in japan and the same goes for the ck100, their little brother.

Would you rate the ck10 higher than the HP-FX500 that you liked?
How about the ck100?

As you know I have the victors and I love them but I am looking for a little bit more isolation, would the ck10's with foams be a good choice?
looking for great isolations for when riding the trains here in Tokyo.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #18 of 24
Fair enough, and I didn't much love the W3s until I tried the tri-flange mod (trim the stalks a bit so they fit more snugly), but many happy W3 owners (the lucky ones who have hit on the right tip combo) have posted in the W3 threads that the mids are some of the best. It is each to his own, but just wanted to point out that there are different views of the W3 for the OP.

Also, the PFEs are not bad via the headphone out of my Touch 2G (same as the iPhone 3G), but you didn't mention which filters you tried. With the black filters the Touch HP out doesn't sound cold to me, and with a decent warm amp (the T4 is one), the PFEs can be very warm, but with great accuracy.

And the Shure olives can be a SQ problem with both of those phones, as qusp has pointed out above regarding the W3s. Same with the PFEs.

Of course, you hear things the way you hear them, but there are two sides to the equation concerning those two phones. Just wanted to point that out.

Too bad you never got to hear either the W3 or the PFE at their best due to the fit issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i do not own PFE and westone 3, however in the place where i live, i have the privilege to audition them for quite some time without buying. and i do not think westone 3 beats SA6 in mids presentation. Each to his own i guess.

my view of PFE as cold sounding is in comparison with SA6, i didn't spend a lot of time with them tho, and i've done all my auditioning with my iphone 3G headphone out.

oh ya, i used shure olives for all the above, i can never get a good fit with triple flanges as the lowest tip is always too big, for SA6 i can only use the small double flange.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #20 of 24
Hey Dura,

So the Senn IE8 are dynamic drivers? I was really close to getting Future Sonics Atrios, but I decided on the SA6, instead. I really like the idea of single wide range drivers, since crossovers are never going to be as smooth as that single driver utopia. The thing is, I was just too afraid of the bass being too strong for my liking, and my primary source doesn't have an EQ unless I can get PulseAudio working worth a damn.

So, what kinds of music do you listen to? I know you said they're good for all kinds of music, but if you're into bass heavy electronic music or hip hop primarily, you'd probably be more forgiving if the bass was a little too much for blues and jazz, since your preference would lean in that direction already.

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well that will be your whole problem with the W3 tyhen. IMO the shure black foams are the worst tip you could possibly use on the W3. for that matter IMO they suck on the SE530 too. the olives on W3 do not help the bass at all and makes the bass bleed into the midrange; making it seem resessed. tip choice with W3 is IMO the only really big problem. with UM56 they are IMO sublime

really? i had faith in the olives because SA6 sounded better with them than the double flange, i couldn't get enough treble even with treble++.

i tried them all with olives because thats what the demo units are preinstalled with, wouldn't want to be a troublemaker to ask them for several tips for trying.

i tried triple flanges with SE530 again, got them trimmed and managed to squeeze them in after a bath with my ears wet. no luck, both the treble and bass were lacking. thanks for suggestions tho, im now with the grey flex tips instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough, and I didn't much love the W3s until I tried the tri-flange mod (trim the stalks a bit so they fit more snugly), but many happy W3 owners (the lucky ones who have hit on the right tip combo) have posted in the W3 threads that the mids are some of the best. It is each to his own, but just wanted to point out that there are different views of the W3 for the OP.

Also, the PFEs are not bad via the headphone out of my Touch 2G (same as the iPhone 3G), but you didn't mention which filters you tried. With the black filters the Touch HP out doesn't sound cold to me, and with a decent warm amp (the T4 is one), the PFEs can be very warm, but with great accuracy.

And the Shure olives can be a SQ problem with both of those phones, as qusp has pointed out above regarding the W3s. Same with the PFEs.

Of course, you hear things the way you hear them, but there are two sides to the equation concerning those two phones. Just wanted to point that out.

Too bad you never got to hear either the W3 or the PFE at their best due to the fit issue.

i didn't check the filters, but i didn't hear more bass than SA6 so i suppose its the grey ones.
the w3 triple flange is the same as SE530, right? oh well..

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #22 of 24
I found the SA6's to be extremely birght. You don't have to save up 800.00 to have quality Custom Molded Iems
Livwires( Now Fidelity) has dual and triple driver models
Hearyourself.com/Alienears has single, dual, and triple drivers.
Both companies in the 125.00 - 370.00 USD range
I have the hearyourself.com triple driver C-3 customs and I love them. Would I prefer to have the UE11's??? Sure but I wasn't willing to triple my price to get the top brand.
Also Hearyourself/Alien ears has:
Free US shipping ( Cheap International)
free impression kits
more color choices
more driver choices
fixed or detatchable cable models.
custom artwork.
and most consider the two companies to have very similar SQ and build quality

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...9/index80.html

http://www.livewiresforyou.com/

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by msalivar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Dura,

So the Senn IE8 are dynamic drivers? I was really close to getting Future Sonics Atrios, but I decided on the SA6, instead. I really like the idea of single wide range drivers, since crossovers are never going to be as smooth as that single driver utopia. The thing is, I was just too afraid of the bass being too strong for my liking, and my primary source doesn't have an EQ unless I can get PulseAudio working worth a damn.

So, what kinds of music do you listen to? I know you said they're good for all kinds of music, but if you're into bass heavy electronic music or hip hop primarily, you'd probably be more forgiving if the bass was a little too much for blues and jazz, since your preference would lean in that direction already.

Thanks!

Yeah, the Senns are dynamic. I listen to a lot of the same types of music as you (Radiohead, Mogwai, Massive Attack, NIN, etc. etc.), and I find the IE8's just about ideal. They are just so smooth across the frequency range, and once burned in don't present bass as overbearing (they are a bit overbearing out of the box, and require a little time to settle down). What will your source be? Mine is a Sony A829.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #24 of 24
A Thinkpad running an Echo Audio Indigo DJ, using the ALSA driver. Eventually I'll get something like a Palm Pre or an Android phone that will be used less critically, but surely won't be as high quality.

Thanks for the input.

Right now, I think my shortlist is:
Audio Technica CK10
Audio Technica CK100 (these two depending on price)
Sennheiser IE7 (since I'd probably leave the IE8 at minimum bass, and the soundstage is only a little smaller)

I'll need to take another look at Klipsch, I was close on the X10 when I bought my SA6. And I'd really like some customs, so I'll have to look into the cost of an audiologist visit and everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back