"Because of [CD's] high resolution it can reveal limitations of the source tape" umm... really?
Sep 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

vrillusions

New Head-Fier
So now that I got a system mostly in place and EAC configured how I want I've been going through and re-ripping all my cd's to flac.  Was doing Metallica's Master of Puppets (freedb even caught that it was the '95 remaster) i noticed this paragraph on the back:

Quote:
The music on this Compact Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of its high resolution, however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape.

I thought CDs were the limitation, not analog?  Perhaps because the source was from what sounds like a wheel to wheel it doesn't have the resolution of vinyl.  Any thoughts?

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 4
I thought CDs were the limitation, not analog?  Perhaps because the source was from what sounds like a wheel to wheel it doesn't have the resolution of vinyl.  Any thoughts?

A lot of audiophiles think this way, I'm not exactly sure why but here's my guess: Analogue tape and vinyl have a lot of distortions and non-linearities compared to CD. However, some of these distortions, like tape saturation and HF roll off for example, can be quite pleasing to the ear, even though they represent inaccuracies. This fact seems to have mislead some audiophiles into believing that analogue tape and vinyl are some how more accurate or higher resolution than digital (which doesn't suffer from these types of distortion). Sure, some CDs sound bad but that is because they have been mixed and/or mastered poorly, not because vinyl or tape has more resolution or is more accurate.

G

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 4
Maybe they just mean, we have recorded the original onto CD without doing anything else, so you may hear some background noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back