Beautiful PA2V2
Aug 5, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundaudio
Gary just mailed me that about 20% the amplifiers have been coming late recently but he not sure why. The amps have been slow to a few other countries too! He suggested that just wait a few more days to see how things go.

My one was supposedly shipped around then too, and i havent received it yet either. I am in South Africa so its probably the same distance issue as you.
I am not worried though. Just chilling and hopefully it will come soon.

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #34 of 53
I live in the UK and ordered mine about a week ago directly from Gary. Arrived yesterday in perfect condition.

I get a scratchy sound when adjusting the volume but dissapears after a second or two. although... i dont get it if i use the optical out port on my iriver ihp120. curious to why this is...? (however the optical port starts distorting at louder volumes even without the pa2v2)

Aug 10, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #35 of 53
Has anyone had any experience driving DT990s (05 model) on the PA2v2??

I'm thinking about getting one to use at work with my Sony PCDP, but I'm not sure it can handle the 250ohm load.

Cheers

Aug 10, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #36 of 53
Kirium said:

Quote:

I'm thinking about getting one to use at work with my Sony PCDP, but I'm not sure it can handle the 250ohm load.

the PA2V2 will drive the dt990. This is what Gary sent me when I asked him the same question:

Quote:

The amplifier works with headphones with an impedance within
the range of 4 ohms up to 320 ohms. Headphones like the
Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 models which have a 300 ohm impedance
are a little tougher for the amp to drive because they are near
the very top of the amp's impedance range. The 250 ohm impedance
of the Beyerdynamic DT 990 model enables the amp to work well
with these headphones though, 250 ohms is not too much for the
amp. What also helps is that the Beyerdynamic models have a high
sensitivity. I have heard from people who use the PA2V2 with the
DT 770/880/990 series and report good results.

It drives them ok. Does it mean that you get the best sound out of these cans? I don't think so. To me the PA2V2 is a good entry level amp but a bit warm too my taste particularly with the DT990.
basshead.gif

With it the DT990 are a bit too bassy but you may enjoy it
580smile.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #37 of 53
You are lucky! I received my credit card bill for PA2V2 but yet to receive my PA2V2 ordered since July!
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SH4RKY
I live in the UK and ordered mine about a week ago directly from Gary. Arrived yesterday in perfect condition.

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #38 of 53
I'm hoping to get my PA2V2 tomorrow. If not, I'll have to wait till Monday I think. Anyway, I'll be using it with Koss PortaPros and Sennheiser HD580s along with my Rio Karma. I'll probably need to get a decent bag to hold the dock, the player, & the amp. Not sure yet what to do about cabling. I'll probaly use the Monster mini to RCA cable I bought for use with my computer's soundcard. Just have to find the darn cable.. LOL!

Found the Monster adaptor.. It's mini male to RCA femal. I also found my Radio Shack gold adaptor. So I'll play with some 1 meter cables from the dock to the amp and see what happens.

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirium

Cheers

The PA2V2/DT990 is the back end of my office rig - it handles the load perfectly - depending on your taste you might find the combo to be a little on the bass heavy side. I think it is a mite bass heavy but I do really like the combination especially for rock music.

EDIT : oops mine are the old 990s with the black plastic headpeices - sorry.

Aug 10, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Gary just mailed me that about 20% the amplifiers have been coming late recently but he not sure why. The amps have been slow to a few other countries too! He suggested that just wait a few more days to see how things go.

It took mine about 3 and a half weeks to arrive; it was in one of the batches that got delayed for some reason. Don't get too worried about it; I thought mine got lost in the mail or something, but it did indeed show up. Gary's a great seller, if yours happens to be running late you have nothing to worry about!

Aug 11, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #41 of 53
Are ears over at the west better than ears down in the humid and warm eastern part of the globe? I've got the PA2V2 and guess what, I don't find anything great or amazing that it could do with any of my cans....I've followed headfi since I first joined a year or more ago and came across many threads like this. Out of the numerous buys that were made through reading threads with either fanboyish praises or simply praises from the masses, I've more often than not ended up with disappointment...Maybe all that hype and excitement caused me to expect more than what I'am supposed to get...

Aug 11, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #42 of 53
Oh, and don't blame my source...Given that the PA2V2 is a portable amp, I tried them out of my iPod with the PocketDock with songs ripped at 320 AAC / Lossless and still, it wasn't what I expected...You know...Day and Night difference kinda thing that many here have described. It does sound better than the iPod headphone out but nothing surprising...

Aug 11, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #43 of 53
My experience with a Total Airhead, PX100, HD280pro and iPod were the same. Actually, I heard no difference at all in the sound between the using the iPod directly and using it's head out thru the Airhead. Granted I was using the head out and not the line out.

Hate to hijack the thread but anybody have an opinion on the sound quality of the much more expensive portable amps with an iPod, say the AE-1, Xin Super, Porta Corda, etc., the $300-$400 amps or is the source the limiting factor?

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #44 of 53
My PA2V2 arrived today after around 3-4 weeks. Very very happy. My DT770 pro/80 sound rubbish directly out of any source, basically because it NEEDS an amp or it doesnt get enough power.

Will let it burn in and compare it to a SupermacroIV.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
My experience with a Total Airhead, PX100, HD280pro and iPod were the same. Actually, I heard no difference at all in the sound between the using the iPod directly and using it's head out thru the Airhead. Granted I was using the head out and not the line out.

Hate to hijack the thread but anybody have an opinion on the sound quality of the much more expensive portable amps with an iPod, say the AE-1, Xin Super, Porta Corda, etc., the $300-$400 amps or is the source the limiting factor?

I tried the GS-1 out of an ACK DAC from a pretty neat computer setup. The sound was good and crystal clear with great dynamics but never was the price spent on that setup justified. It was just a good system but for that amount of price, I'll rather stay with an inferior setup. Tried both the SR-71 and the Gilmore Lite as well and they were soso...Nothing fancyful..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back