Beats User wants to upgrade to Best quality possible for $400 or less.
Dec 7, 2013 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jeso

New Head-Fier
Hi all, 

New here, didn't even know such a forum existed, pretty interesting cause i consider myself an audiophile, im an artist and im just listening to music 24/7, literally, i even put some music on while i sleep. 

So yea, i use Beats by dre. Just because im not really educated about high quality headphones, looking through the internet and people bashing on beats all over the place and finding out brands like Audio Technica and Sennheiser, i just thought i do the right thing and get rid of the beats. 

Aright, down to business, Im looking for some over the ear headphones, closed ones so that roommates  won't be bothered too much when i use them, you know, cans that have that sound isolation thing. 
I want them for home use only, to listen to music and movies, I'd like them to have descent bass and be as comfortable as possible, since i would just sit at my desk and draw 10 hrs straight. 

Not really familiar with what the Highs, Mids, and lows terms i often read around here but, i guess im looking for an all-round top quality sound.

I listen to all kinds of stuff, Heavy metal, Classical music, electronic, Acoustic..    

Im on a budget, i only have up to about 380$ to spend on this, and i would like to get just he best quality possible for that price on the parameters already mentioned. 

I really hope you wise people can help me out on this one, I'd be eternally grateful, cause i already spent 300$ on this Beats crap and i don't wanna through my money away on crappy headphones again.

Thanks in advance. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 22
if you want something which has the same characteristic as  beats, v moda m-100. for more natural / flat sound, b&w p7, sennheiser momentum or kef m500

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 22
Nah, i don't want the same characteristic as beats.. I want better, hence why i want to upgrade haha.  The only thing in that regard though, i don't think i'd be comfortable going from the ridiculously high bass the Beats produce, to some headphones that lack bass. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 22
You should come to these forum before buying beats 
biggrin.gif

I recomend the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650. Warm heaphones, good bass, good details and very comfortable. The highs are a bit rolled off so they are not fatiguing. 

If you prefer to save some money and have closed headphones, then the Beyerdynamic DT770 would be good. They are half the price of the HD650, but I find the SQ very good for the price. Very comfortable, good bass and a bit brighter then the HD650.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 22
The Mad Dogs are great but they need an amp and i don't know if the OP has the cash for both.

Mad Dogs plus an amp like the Schiit Magni will bring the price up to around 400, but if the OP is willing to buy both then i would say the Mad Dog is the best bet. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for the suggestions guys, im considering everything, But can someone explain real quick whats the amp for? not sure i wanna have a lot of devices and cables plug into each other all the time.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 22
if you are considering open phones, you may want to look x1 also.
for amp, look this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/692992/how-do-you-know-if-amping-is-required

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 22
  I listen to all kinds of stuff, Heavy metal, Classical music, electronic, Acoustic..    
I'm on a budget, i only have up to about 380$ to spend on this, and i would like to get just he best quality possible for that price on the parameters already mentioned. 
I really hope you wise people can help me out on this one, I'd be eternally grateful, cause i already spent 300$ on this Beats crap and i don't wanna through my money away on crappy headphones again. 

It would help to know what sources your plugging the headphones into?
PC or Mac's on-board audio? iPod? mp3 player? A/V receiver? smart phone?

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, $220.
Will work plugged into anything.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 22
  It would help to know what sources your plugging the headphones into?
PC or Mac's on-board audio? iPod? mp3 player? A/V receiver? smart phone?

Nothing special, i will just be plugging them to my Mac, and my phone/ipad. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 22
Alright, so, I checked  out your recommendations guys, and so far the ones i like the most  are the HD600, A900x, and the Mad dog. 

I'd say i'd really like to get HD600 but them being open cans its probably gonna be an issue, and then we have the other 2, which are both closed,   A900x  vs Mad dog     im assuming the mad dog has better sound quality, but it requires to have an amp as i understand from this thread. But what kind of Amp? is there a specific one for these headphones? or any one amp will do the trick? 

TBH im liking those Mad Dogs a lot, but i need more info i guess, never heard of that brand before but i see praises to them all over. And there the Amp issue i know nothing about. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 22
Dec 7, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #14 of 22
this will do the job, if you want to use mad dog indoors
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386455716

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 22
  this will do the job, if you want to use mad dog indoors
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386455716

+1 to this. 

It also has a DAC, so you connect it to your computer via USB and it processes the digital signal into analog (your computer can also do this, but a dedicated device will do a better job of it). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back