Beats Studios have more bass when using a different cable?!?!?
Aug 30, 2013 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nisaja

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. This is my first time posting here. Pretty excited haha :D

Anyways, I have a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre Studios and it came with 2 cables. A red cable for music another black cable with a microphone. What bugged me was that the Solos came with a red cable that has control talk. So I went on eBay and got myself a cheap Beats Solo control talk cable (I said cheap coz it's obviously fake. Got it for $5).
So plugged them in and they worked perfectly. BUT, the lows and highs seem to be boosted!! It's like I got a lot more bass and treble. Like when you put your iPhone's equalizer on the "Loudness" setting. I swear I'm not lying. So in conclusion, I get waaay more bass when I'm listening with the cheap ebay control talk cable than with the cable that came with the headphones.

How is this even possible?? Has this happened to you guys coz this is the first time it happened to me :/ They're just cables :/

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hi guys. This is my first time posting here. Pretty excited haha
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I have a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre Studios and it came with 2 cables. A red cable for music another black cable with a microphone. What bugged me was that the Solos came with a red cable that has control talk. So I went on eBay and got myself a cheap Beats Solo control talk cable (I said cheap coz it's obviously fake. Got it for $5).
So plugged them in and they worked perfectly. BUT, the lows and highs seem to be boosted!! It's like I got a lot more bass and treble. Like when you put your iPhone's equalizer on the "Loudness" setting. I swear I'm not lying. So in conclusion, I get waaay more bass when I'm listening with the cheap ebay control talk cable than with the cable that came with the headphones.

How is this even possible?? Has this happened to you guys coz this is the first time it happened to me :/ They're just cables :/

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Cables do change the sound. Copper cable seems to make your sound more warm and bassy, and silver cables makes your sound more clean. It could also be distortion that is making your bass sound boosted.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 9
It's not distortion for sure. It sounds clean and clear. It's just got a lot more bass. Also the control talk cables aren't as loud as the standard cables. It's just like a loudness equalizer setting. This is crazy! :D

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
It's not distortion for sure. It sounds clean and clear. It's just got a lot more bass. Also the control talk cables aren't as loud as the standard cables. It's just like a loudness equalizer setting. This is crazy!
biggrin.gif

Having little more distortion doesn't make the sound unclear, just different. It could be that the control talk cable has more impedance than stock cable, so the sound of your beats change.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 9
Alright. From what I've heard, the solo's have more bass than the Studios. Could this be the reason? The cables? :/ because I'm using the solo cables now and they definitely have more bass.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Alright. From what I've heard, the solo's have more bass than the Studios. Could this be the reason? The cables? :/ because I'm using the solo cables now and they definitely have more bass.

I doubt that cables are the only difference. They are likely using different drivers. But still, it surprises me to hear that cables make a audible difference with beats.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Exactly! I didn't know that this was possible! To be honest there's a BIG difference. Lots of bass and treble. The mids seem to be muffled though. I checked my equalizer to see if these cables automatically activate the loudness setting (who knows after what just happened! :p) but no. The equalizer is off. I do lose a bit of detail with these control talk cables. This is like a bonus feature. When I want bass, I use the control talk cable and when I want detail, it's the stock cables. Crazy! :D

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
I doubt that cables are the only difference. They are likely using different drivers. But still, it surprises me to hear that cables make a audible difference with beats.

... maybe... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back