Beats Studio3
Oct 9, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #331 of 904
So I have an order for the Studio3's at Apple store right now, however, upon reading reviews where the QC35's are almost always favored, I wonder whether I should keep my order for the Beats, or buy a pair of QC35's instead. I do really like the design on the Studio3's, but at the same time, I don't want to feel like I've made the inferior choice. Does anyone feel like the QC35's are far more superior than what is within the normal range, or are they quite equal? Because if that's the case, I'd definitely would want to keep the Studio3's.

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #332 of 904
I called my local store but there was no stock. Looks like I'll live vicariously for a few days.

When you call an Apple Store it actually redirects to a call center. The Studio3 available in stores won’t show up in the inventory system as they’re walk-in stock. But yours shipped already!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #333 of 904
So I have an order for the Studio3's at Apple store right now, however, upon reading reviews where the QC35's are almost always favored, I wonder whether I should keep my order for the Beats, or buy a pair of QC35's instead. I do really like the design on the Studio3's, but at the same time, I don't want to feel like I've made the inferior choice. Does anyone feel like the QC35's are far more superior than what is within the normal range, or are they quite equal? Because if that's the case, I'd definitely would want to keep the Studio3's.

UrAvgConsumer found the Studio3 to sound “way better” than QC35. They have QC35 demos in nearly every electronics store, give them a try but I’d bet Studio3 will have better sound if you enjoy the bass boost.

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #334 of 904
UrAvgConsumer found the Studio3 to sound “way better” than QC35. They have QC35 demos in nearly every electronics store, give them a try but I’d bet Studio3 will have better sound if you enjoy the bass boost.
I would probably enjoy the bass boost, as I listen a lot to hip hop. And I have actually tried a friends QC35's, and what impressed me the most was the comfort. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I've made a good purchase :slight_smile:

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #336 of 904
I would probably enjoy the bass boost, as I listen a lot to hip hop. And I have actually tried a friends QC35's, and what impressed me the most was the comfort. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I've made a good purchase :slight_smile:

I haven't listened to the Studio3s but I have listened to the QC35.
I've also read all the reviews, and basically my takeaway is that QC35 does ANC better and is (probably a bit) more comfortable, so if you really want to use your headphones to block out all the noise with soft ear pads, like when commuting or whatever, QC35 are the way to go.

Now Studio3s have the added convenience of W1 (longer range, longer battery life, stupid easy pairing w apple products), and a more pop/hip-hop/electronic music oriented tuning. I don't think the sound quality will be that far off between them.
Studio 3's also look way cooler (in MY opinion) so they also score style points.

If you've tried a friends QC35 and you're about to get the beats you'll be able to make ur own decisions and WORST case you can easily return (which I don't think you'll do). So yes you made a good purchase!

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #338 of 904
ANC & comfort: Bose

Sound quality & style: Beats

After listening to the Beats for a couple of hours this afternoon, the comfort thing has become kind of a big deal. As someone with big ears who wears glasses, the Beats got uncomfortable pretty quickly and after a couple of hours, were painful to wear. I don't think these will work for my noggin.

As far as sound quality, they sound good (a little ahead of the Bose QC35 and about the same as the Sony 1000x from my recollection). Pairing was dead simple, range was great the the ANC worked so well that the landscaping guys were working outside our office, cut a giant branch off a tree that evidently fell with such a loud bang that it startled everyone in the office and I didn't hear a thing. I'm kind of bummed that they won't work comfort-wise as everything else about them is great. Those with smaller ears should have much better luck with them.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #339 of 904
They’re good. Don’t want to give a positive or negative opinion this early into my listening session, but some initial notes:

- Solo3 has a stronger bass, but Studio3 has a more detailed sound.

- Undecided whether the Momentum is better but on first impression the Momentum may surprisingly have a more pronounced, more defined bass.

-ANC works well for wind. I heard wind for about three seconds then it completely cut it out. It’s not a chamber effect like Bose, mid-range (voices) still semi-pass through the ANC.

- Vocals really cut through the mix.

They’re a surprisingly easy listen and the clamping force is just about perfect. I can get an acceptable volume at just 50%.

Definitely a cleaner sound with ANC off.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #340 of 904
Going off first impressions only I feel like the Solo3 is the only Beats headphone I’ve heard that lives up to Beats’ marketing of feeling the emotion in the song. I wouldn’t immediately say the Studio3 replaces the Solo3 or the Momentum for me but they’re solid and opinions change.

Edit: Should probably wait a while before posting impressions so I don’t eat my words :).

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #343 of 904
Moderately-elevated bass with perhaps a stronger boost in the mid-upper bass, clean mids with a upper mid push that makes vocals stand out, slightly recessed treble. Semi-open soundstage (not as wide as the Momentum) with distinct separation and decent imaging. Perfect wireless clarity as expected.

Unfortunately I can already say these are not 100% audiophile cans though with “burn in” I imagine I’ll get used to the sound. I am impressed with the fact I can have a pleasant listening experience at 50% volume, which is a testament to the nicely-balanced sound. They also respond well to EQ. The drivers are capable of strong decently clean bass with basic EQing but stock tuning is fairly balanced.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #344 of 904
They’re not as bassy or fun as the Solo3, and not as analytical or defined as the Momentum, but they’re a solid middle ground between the two. If I could only keep one headphone this is a good mix, but I’m not sure yet that it’s better than the combo of Solo3 for portable use and Momentum for listening at home. It’s a really solid sound though. Lower mids may suffer a bit but otherwise they’re clearer than the QC35. The Studio3 do have noticeably better wireless clarity particularly with an iPhone over the Momentum but the Momentum has a sound signature audiophiles will probably prefer.

Honestly they are good, detailed consumer headphones with a moderate bass boost. I’m just not blown away which I wished I would be. They’re very good, likely the best wireless over-ear headphone you can get for $350 without jumping up to the $400+ range, but not blow-away great.

P.S. I don’t get the market desire for ANC. Perhaps I can see turning it on on a flight but I wish Apple included an option to keep ANC off by default. Just a waste of battery and clarity for me to keep it on, especially when the Studio3 are already very isolating.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #345 of 904
Also of note: the treble is well-extended so cymbals do sound as they’re supposed to which was the main issue with the Solo3’s sound. (Which I grew to find fine since it made the sound less fatiguing.)

Very good headphones with perfect wireless clarity and decent comfort once you get the fit right (there are ways to manipulate the fit if your ears are too large). Generous padding by Beats inside the earcups is a smart design move. I expected more but what surprised me is that they’re a balanced headphone with a signature that seems like it’d be listenable for hours.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back