Beats Studio3
Dec 18, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #601 of 904
Also, how does it compare to the MDR-1ABT? I know those don't have ANC, but I wouldn't be looking at the Studio3 for ANC.
Although I haven't tested the Studio 3(I'm really curious how they compare to Studio 2), I have had the Studio 2 for more than one year and the MDR-1A for nearly 10 months, and I can say the following, contrary to most people's expectations:

The Studio 2 has definitely more detail, better imaging, sounds livelier than the MDR-1A(in other words Studio 2 is closer to the idea of Hi-Fi, should appeal better to audiophiles)

The MDR-1A has better bass(it's better for pop/hip-hop), but sounds relatively muffled in the highs and mids.

Many people, due to a lot of misleading information and wrong presuppositions/assumptions, believe that the opposite is true(that MDR-1A is more detailed, more hi-fi, and Studio 2 bassier - which can't be further from the truth).

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #602 of 904
I actually think Apple’s audio product of 2017 is iPhone X. Practically flawless frequency response coming out of its stereo speakers considering the size constraints. I’ve heard far worse on larger, more expensive speaker systems.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #603 of 904
So do all studio 3s have the white noise hiss? I just picked up a set and it was immediately apparent (both ears), not audible once you crank the volume but I’d guess it could be noticeable on say podcasts or audio books. I’ve not had a an extended period to try these yet but I am wondering if this is a quirk or a fault?

Also any EQ tips for these, I have read a number of posts over the interweb referencing that these improve massively with some EQ.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #604 of 904
So do all studio 3s have the white noise hiss? I just picked up a set and it was immediately apparent (both ears), not audible once you crank the volume but I’d guess it could be noticeable on say podcasts or audio books. I’ve not had a an extended period to try these yet but I am wondering if this is a quirk or a fault?

Also any EQ tips for these, I have read a number of posts over the interweb referencing that these improve massively with some EQ.

If you disable the ANC either through Bluetooth settings or by double tapping the power button, then it will disable the white noise hiss.

I recommend boosting the lowest sub-frequencies and removing the lower mid bias.

Jan 27, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #605 of 904
Although I haven't tested the Studio 3(I'm really curious how they compare to Studio 2), I have had the Studio 2 for more than one year and the MDR-1A for nearly 10 months, and I can say the following, contrary to most people's expectations:

The Studio 2 has definitely more detail, better imaging, sounds livelier than the MDR-1A(in other words Studio 2 is closer to the idea of Hi-Fi, should appeal better to audiophiles)

The MDR-1A has better bass(it's better for pop/hip-hop), but sounds relatively muffled in the highs and mids.

Many people, due to a lot of misleading information and wrong presuppositions/assumptions, believe that the opposite is true(that MDR-1A is more detailed, more hi-fi, and Studio 2 bassier - which can't be further from the truth).

I agree with you totally! I haven't found a headphone i like more than the studio 2. I even bought and returned the sony 1000x and the new studio 3

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #607 of 904
How good our these things in wired mode? I remember seeing a review somewhere that said that they improved slightly when wired but I cannot find it again!

Never know how the whole whole dac combo works when you plug in a wireless set? Are they truly passive or does the dac/amp in the headphones play some part?

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #608 of 904
How good our these things in wired mode? I remember seeing a review somewhere that said that they improved slightly when wired but I cannot find it again!

Never know how the whole whole dac combo works when you plug in a wireless set? Are they truly passive or does the dac/amp in the headphones play some part?

Not very good as wired headphones. Very mediocre for the price. I believe it is passive.

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #609 of 904
Solo3 is still one of my favorite headphones, but the bass is definitely over-emphasized by about two decibels. Using EQ to reduce the bass puts the Solo3 up there with some of the better headphones I’ve heard, and its imaging and harmonic distortion are among the best ever measured by Rtings. Plus this is all in wireless mode.

Solo4 with a more balanced sound or even incorporating some tech from HomePod which equalizes bass dependent on the song could be a game-changer.

After how mediocre Studio3 was I won’t get my hopes up though.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #610 of 904
I tested them wired with a couple of DACS and I thought they sounded better than wireless TBH, also quite like how the ANC still works. Tried them straight from an S8+ and they were not that great ( and quite quiet) but from a nextdrive spectra on an android and DB Magix on iPhone they sounded pretty good to me and slightly better than wireless to my untrained ears. I’m assuming given the differences between the dacs that whatever dac is built into studio 3s is not active when in passive mode?

For me the Studio 3 are the best of an imperfect bunch of over ear ANC headphones and having tried a few here is my view:

Studio 3

Pretty good SQ, not class leading but an enjoyable listen. I’ve not tried any EQ yet and I have read somewhere else that these can really benefit.

Good ANC. Not as good as Bose or Sony but better than the B&W PXs IMO. Does a good job on my daily commute and also seems really good at blocking traffic noise on my walk home., Unlike the other having ANC on does not seem to detrimentally impact the SQ.

No APTX or HD though

B&W PX

+ The best SQ of all the ones I have tried by some way IMO. They sound terrific

+ All the codecs (except for LDAC)

- Probably the worse ANC of the ones I have tried. Still pretty good though but they do sound noticeably better with ANC off.

- Do not fold down, they do fold flat but the cups turn out not in!!! making the foot print even bigger . Showstopper for me, the main reason I want ANC is to use on my commute and these are just not portable enough for that. The beats or Bose or Sony fold down enough to go in most bags and even a large coat pocket at a push

- More leakage than I would like

Build quality seems good but they feel less robust on the move, it is intangible and other mileage may vary but they seem to creak or knock on the move more than the beats or bose.

Bose QC35

+ The best ANC (just) it is close with the Sony though

+ The most comfortable

+ Best controls (IMO)

-No APTX or HD

- SQ probably the worst of the lot. Not unpleasant but still a step down from the other 3 imo

Connectivity issues when used on the move. All 3 pairs that I had regular drops when used on the move. Common issue it seems if you google it and apparently not fixed with theMk2s

Sony 1000x (mk1)

+ Very good ANC only IMO narrowly beaten by Bose, but I’d see how others may say it is the best

+ Very good SQ overall but I did find the bass a little thin

+ All the codecs!

-Not a fan of the touch controls

- Fragile, mine creaked almost immediately

- Known issues with cracking, which are again apparently also happening to the MK2s

I have not tried the B&Os yet and have dismissed Momentum 2.0s as they lack AAC which makes them unsuitable to use on an iPhone (and I have 1 droid and iPhone that I frequently switch between)

I guess I am just waiting to see if anything new comes out in 2018 but other than Sennhesier I am not sure anybody will release anything new.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #611 of 904
I tested them wired with a couple of DACS and I thought they sounded better than wireless TBH, also quite like how the ANC still works. Tried them straight from an S8+ and they were not that great ( and quite quiet) but from a nextdrive spectra on an android and DB Magix on iPhone they sounded pretty good to me and slightly better than wireless to my untrained ears. I’m assuming given the differences between the dacs that whatever dac is built into studio 3s is not active when in passive mode?

For me the Studio 3 are the best of an imperfect bunch of over ear ANC headphones and having tried a few here is my view:

Studio 3

Pretty good SQ, not class leading but an enjoyable listen. I’ve not tried any EQ yet and I have read somewhere else that these can really benefit.

Good ANC. Not as good as Bose or Sony but better than the B&W PXs IMO. Does a good job on my daily commute and also seems really good at blocking traffic noise on my walk home., Unlike the other having ANC on does not seem to detrimentally impact the SQ.

No APTX or HD though

B&W PX

+ The best SQ of all the ones I have tried by some way IMO. They sound terrific

+ All the codecs (except for LDAC)

- Probably the worse ANC of the ones I have tried. Still pretty good though but they do sound noticeably better with ANC off.

- Do not fold down, they do fold flat but the cups turn out not in!!! making the foot print even bigger . Showstopper for me, the main reason I want ANC is to use on my commute and these are just not portable enough for that. The beats or Bose or Sony fold down enough to go in most bags and even a large coat pocket at a push

- More leakage than I would like

Build quality seems good but they feel less robust on the move, it is intangible and other mileage may vary but they seem to creak or knock on the move more than the beats or bose.

Bose QC35

+ The best ANC (just) it is close with the Sony though

+ The most comfortable

+ Best controls (IMO)

-No APTX or HD

- SQ probably the worst of the lot. Not unpleasant but still a step down from the other 3 imo

Connectivity issues when used on the move. All 3 pairs that I had regular drops when used on the move. Common issue it seems if you google it and apparently not fixed with theMk2s

Sony 1000x (mk1)

+ Very good ANC only IMO narrowly beaten by Bose, but I’d see how others may say it is the best

+ Very good SQ overall but I did find the bass a little thin

+ All the codecs!

-Not a fan of the touch controls

- Fragile, mine creaked almost immediately

- Known issues with cracking, which are again apparently also happening to the MK2s

I have not tried the B&Os yet and have dismissed Momentum 2.0s as they lack AAC which makes them unsuitable to use on an iPhone (and I have 1 droid and iPhone that I frequently switch between)

I guess I am just waiting to see if anything new comes out in 2018 but other than Sennhesier I am not sure anybody will release anything new.
Excellent Comparison and I agree with most of what you've said. I've been in the same boat as you, searching for the perfect Wireless ANC Headphone. The problem is, there just isn't one. I've owned the Bose QC35 II and Sony 1000XM2. I currently own the Beats Studio 3, B&W PX, and the Sony H.ear On 2. I have gone back and forth for months, buying/returning, reading reviews trying to hear what others hear. I'm shocked Best Buy still lets me return headphones LOL. The thing is, everyone has a different ear. We all listen to different genres of music. We all use our headphones in different ways with different devices at different volumes. There's just no right or wrong answer. I've learned that many review sites go with the majority when reviewing headphones and there aren't many I respect. But I will say, a site like Rtings, they at least try to be as honest as possible and they will tell you why they rated it the way they did in comparison to others, and they will tell you how and with what devices they used the headphones. The bottom line is, NONE of these headphones blow the others out when it comes to sound in wireless mode. They all bring something different to the table when it comes to being a portable headphone and in the end it comes down to how you're going to be using it, with what devices, and what music you preference. If you're a person who listens to quiet music like classical and jazz, you may prefer the B&W PX or the QC35s. Hip Hop, R&B, or anything really energetic and lively, the 1000XM2 if sub bass is your thing, the Studio 3 if you preference the punch of the beat and enjoy listening to your music loud. The H.ear On 2s are honestly the best of both worlds. They sound similar to the 1000X, but with a slight treble push, and a little less in the sub bass. They do everything good to great and if I could only have one portable headphone, they would be it.

I personally use ALL Apple products, and being a drummer I preference a slight to moderate mid bass and treble push. For sound quality I would rank the headphones as follows:
1a) B&W PX (Warm, Clear, Natural, Spacious, with a ever so slight mid bass push. They sound amazing with quality recordings and acoustic music)
1b) Sony H.ear On 2 (More forgiving than the B&W PX. A slight treble and bass push that's done in a very musical way. The most versatile with anything thrown at it)
2) Beats Studio 3 (Dynamic, sounds the most exciting to my ears with anything lively. Moderate mid bass and low mid push. Makes drums, beats, and clicks have impact. The best for cranking the volume)
3) Bose QC35 II (Good sound stage. Pretty neutral sound. I actually enjoyed listening to it the most at lower volumes.
4) Sony 1000XM2 (Just wasn't a fan. The bass was a little too loose and inconsistent for me. I did enjoy the Sub Bass emphasis, I just preferred the sound of the rest. These sounded slightly muddier to me)

Comfort: QC35 > everything else LOL
Wireless Connection: Studio 3 > everything else (I have apple products). If using Android, QC35 and B&W PX because they can connect to 2 devices at the same time.
Features: 1000X and H.ear On 2 tied for 1st
Design: Who cares? Pick your preference
Headset for Making Calls: Studio 3, QC35, and B&W PX tied for 1st (The Sonys are not great for that)
Noise Cancelling: 1000X > QC35 > Studio 3 > B&W PX = H.ear On 2 (Turning the B&W PX's ANC to it's highest setting affects it's sound quality. Takes it from 1st to worst)
Passive Isolation: B&W PX > everything else (You really don't need it's noise cancelling except in the loudest of environments.)
Active Use/Working Out: Studio 3 > everything else (Fits the most secure on my head. Plus it's sound is very emotional and energetic)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #612 of 904
Thanks, out of interest have you tried the studio 3s in wired mode?

The thing that bugs me a little about them is no aptx so on an iPhone it is fine provided that I use Apple music but as with iOS I am really growing to dislike apple music, Spotify though and other non-acc services do not sound great over wireless on an iPhone. I also tend to always have an iDevice and droid that switch between and with only the only the pixel supporting AAC over Bluetooth the beats are compromised.

This does make the lack of aptx on the beats probably their biggest issue for me as I do these days gravitate to android more than iOS

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #614 of 904
Thanks, out of interest have you tried the studio 3s in wired mode?

The thing that bugs me a little about them is no aptx so on an iPhone it is fine provided that I use Apple music but as with iOS I am really growing to dislike apple music, Spotify though and other non-acc services do not sound great over wireless on an iPhone. I also tend to always have an iDevice and droid that switch between and with only the only the pixel supporting AAC over Bluetooth the beats are compromised.

This does make the lack of aptx on the beats probably their biggest issue for me as I do these days gravitate to android more than iOS
I have only tried it wired a couple of times, not enough that I can make a detailed assessment. I will say that I didn’t notice a difference between wired and wireless. But again, I use all Apple products. I definitely understand Android users not being pleased. I would bet that if my primary listening device was an Android phone, the Studio 3s would probably be last. Many of their strong points come when paired with an iOS device.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #615 of 904
So I had a play with the h.ear on 2 and ended up buying them!

Very nice, only listened to them on my commute home but am very happy with them. NC for the rumble of the train is the equal or maybe better than the beats (so good) not so good with traffic noise or wind (unless you set the wind reduction option)

Been a while since I owned the 1000x but my initial impression is the he.ear ons offer pretty much all of the benefits and none of the crack or creak related downsides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back