Beats Studio3
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #466 of 904
Studio3 is exceptionally clear with ANC enabled though. I’ve been seeing some people interpret the “audio calibration” feature as adjusting the signature depending on the audio content rather than simply adjusting for ANC so I’ll listen with ANC on and see if I can notice any signature differences.

If you absolutely need ANC and a high level of passive isolation then you could do far worse. What the Studio3’s ANC lacks in blocking some noises it makes up for in preserving audio clarity.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #467 of 904
Treble booster EQ (found in iOS/iTunes settings) cleans up the Studio3’s signature. It tightens the bass, widens the soundstage, adds more presence to the mids, and brings out more detail in the upper treble that was missing on rock tracks. Downside is that it makes it more fatiguing but not overly so, and I think many audiophiles would prefer the signature with this EQ. The treble booster EQ even makes a difference with some hip-hop/EDM songs that work well with the Studio3’s stock tuning. Definitely another notch up in fidelity for other genres.

Dare I say a boost in the upper mids/treble almost makes them sound like audiophile headphones. Really a better-sounding headphone. Try it if you’re in this thread & still own the Studio3.

Sound is quite good either way, but fitting these headphones is a chore. They’re not uncomfortable but it takes some work to find a proper fit.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #468 of 904
Honestly, the Studio3 does a lot of things well even if at times it can get muddy on tracks lacking modern production. The absolute clarity in the wireless streaming that I’ve come to expect out of Apple’s implementation is there. I still think AAC with Apple Music sounds better than standard aptX with Tidal lossless. It’s going to come down to nitpicking the signature of all the wireless headphones available as they’re all similarly very good for what they are.

Bose for comfort, Sony for features, Beats for lively sound/design, Sennheiser/B&W for audiophile quality with premium build. If it made sense I’d own them all but that would be a very expensive hobby lol. I also think V-MODA has a good option for those who want a predominantly wired pair but its wireless functionality doesn’t compete with the other brands.

My main gripe now with the Studio3 is the build quality. I can physically hear the headphones creak as I move my head. I may try another pair (or demoing at an Apple Store) to see if my pair is defective or if it’s just inadequate build quality.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #469 of 904
Oct 28, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #470 of 904
Hmm, interesting development: The treble is toned down and bass is slightly more pronounced with ANC enabled. This allows me to listen a bit more loudly and pick up on details in the lower mids, as well as being a less fatiguing sound. I’m not sure whether this is due to the ANC sacrificing the treble to cancel frequencies or if they figured people would be listening more loudly with ANC enabled for more isolation. In real-world usage with music playing it’s quite comparable to Bose without the cabin pressure effect and while maintaining clarity.

Still feel like the Studio3 would be a better-sounding headphone if the lower bass was more pronounced and the mid-bass was toned down a smidge, but many headphones recommended here choose this bass presentation. Bose and Sony have similar build quality so as an ANC headphone the Studio3 does a solid job. I just wish it were priced lower when you can get superior headphones like the B&W PX for $399. For $249 on Black Friday for Shadow Gray I’d definitely consider Studio3 even if the sound can be muddy on certain tracks.

The Momentum is still better overall. Studio3 can get pretty muddy on rock tracks.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #471 of 904
I think the problem with the Studio line is that Beats tries sculpting and coloring the sound too much. They should stick to keeping it simple when they tune the headphones rather than trying to pull certain instruments or details out of a mix since that kind of tuning isn’t totally versatile. On the Solo3 they added a mostly linear bass boost without getting muddy, scooped the mids yet left them sounding natural, and left the treble intact up until the highest frequencies where it rolls off.

Gotta say I’m trying to love the Studio3 but Solo3 is still a great headphone and I’m not quite feeling the same about Studio3 even though it has more finesse and detail in certain areas. Solo3 has a fuller bass and more natural mids that bring out more details in the vocals. Midbass is too emphasized on Studio3.

Solo3 is an exceptional on-ear while Studio3 is an acceptable over-ear headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #472 of 904
Hi-Fi Insider said that the Studio3 is better than the Sony WH-1000XM2 and the B&W PX. That’s a surprising statement to hear from Hi-Fi Insider but I still think I can get better sound out of B&W & maybe Sony.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #473 of 904
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have followed this thread for a while. I received my Studio 3s a couple of days ago and can confirm the hiss while ANC is on and no music playing.

What is truly awkward is the fact that I can only hear this hiss in the left ear cup. I almost sounds like a little fan is blowing (I know there's none in there :) ). So I called apple regarding this since I thought it's a fault and they confirmed that this is expected behaviour!?! What!?! This sound on the left is driving me insane and it can't be expected behaviour.

Can anyone of you owning a pair please confirm this?

Thanks.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #474 of 904
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have followed this thread for a while. I received my Studio 3s a couple of days ago and can confirm the hiss while ANC is on and no music playing.

What is truly awkward is the fact that I can only hear this hiss in the left ear cup. I almost sounds like a little fan is blowing (I know there's none in there :) ). So I called apple regarding this since I thought it's a fault and they confirmed that this is expected behaviour!?! What!?! This sound on the left is driving me insane and it can't be expected behaviour.

Can anyone of you owning a pair please confirm this?

Thanks.

Yes - you can always return them.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #478 of 904
Thanks Michael ... is it only me that finds this rather disturbing?

A slight hiss is typical with ANC implementations. I find that it doesn’t really affect music so it’s not a major problem, and thankfully ANC can be disabled when it isn’t needed.

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #480 of 904
I'm actually "OK" with the hiss ... but the one sided "presentation" is causing me head aches. :frowning2:

I actually have a lot of experience with this issue (Studio2). You will typically see this with cheaper ANC implementations, for which there are plenty. I'm a perfectionist, so this REALLY bothered me.

This issue was present on the Studio2s as well, and after literally buying and returning over a 15 (yes, over 15) from various retailers (I got banned at Best Buy), I can say it will vary from headphone to headphone. Some, had an even presentation, while MOST did not (to varying degrees), which you can further test with the side-tone feature when using your phone as a voice recorder (tests the mic as well). SIDE NOTE: You will probably notice one of the adjustment sliders is much looser than the other. While most people don't really notice or care, again, as a perfectionist, it bothers me. I feel it is a quality issue and representative of the care (or lack thereof) they take in their fabrication processes.

The Studio2 & Studio3 are a consumer-level headphone, with average materials, build quality, and "Fun" sound. I eventually returned my Studio2s and just went with the B&W P7 Wireless as my daily driver, since I don't need ANC on a daily basis. For travel, I use my Bose QC 35, which is totally comfortable for long trips and sounds decent enough. I am really looking at getting the new Sony 1000X MKII, which I test drove and really liked. It sounds great and very similar with ANC on and ANC off. You do NOT get an uneven presentation with the ANC and the Sony app is really nice to EQ the sound to your preference (which saves it directly into the headphones). The app essentially controls the on-board DSP vs. post-signal processing like you'll get in many of the third party EQ apps. ANC is also on-par with Bose, but contrary to popular opinion, I still think Bose has a bit better ANC overall, but it's REALLY close; the Sony sounds much better IMO.

Beats definitely has its place and I find the Solo3 (on sale, sub $200) to be a decent headphone for the gym and general use. The Studio3 SHOULD be better, but they just went with the same formula as the Studio2 and just upgraded it vs. a ground-up rebuild.

If you're spending $349 (I assume) on the Beats Studio3, I say return it and get the Sony 1000X MKII instead. Except for the W-1 chip, Apple really hasn't brought Beats up to the standard of their other products, all of which are basically leaders in their own respective classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back