Beats Studio3
Oct 10, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #361 of 904
It looks like the hype train hit the wall, sad to see that out of all the people on this thread you got disappointed. Do you think that it is because of your expectancies or the fact that you enjoyed Solo 3 so much?

Do you feel that the sound will change a bit when you play around with EQ on iPhone? Might this increase the bass boost by adjusting the setup?

Indeed it has, but I’ll continue giving the Studio3 a chance. I definitely expected too much out of them. The difference was that I fully expected Solo3 to be mediocre when I got them and was pleasantly surprised, while I expected the Studio3 to be the best wireless over-ears I’ve heard but frankly based on purely SQ they’re not in the same league as the Momentum. If my expectations were low I’d likely enjoy the Studio3 more but I was hoping Beats would take their excellent wireless technology and fit it with the drivers to match.

They compete in the $350 wireless ANC space, so they’re priced fairly and compare well against their direct competition, but they’re not breaking new ground beyond the W1 chip.

In regards to EQ, they respond well to the EQ settings in iOS. Bass boost EQ does produce a stronger more impactful bass that Beats fans may enjoy more than the stock sound but the sound becomes less refined.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #362 of 904
So far these look like they’re fitting into my hopes for them. A balanced warm sound that plays well with modern music, good ANC, W1 tech and all that jazz. It appears they have a better musical presentation than the Bose/Sony and that’s the main thing for me with an ANC set.

In terms of the bass, I’m mostly hoping that it extends nice and deep.

I’ll get my audiophile detail monster fix from the iSine, Quad Driver and ORA once it ships. I do expect the ORA to absolutely spank the competition because of the driver measurements.

MICHAELSD: if you want to look into jumping on board a new wireless audiophile hype train, there’s seating available at nearly half price on the ORA express :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #363 of 904
That's encouraging, if I am reading this correctly, that even at 50% volume, it's listenable.

How loud do you have to go before it becomes too loud for your ears?

The reason I'm asking is because I just recently (a week and a half ago) purchased the Sennheiser PXC 550, and my ears agreed with some others who reviewed who said there isn't a lot of headroom for quieter recordings, and I find myself at just one tick below max volume on my iPhone on the PXC 550 for modern mastered music, which doesn't bode well for quieter recordings, especially older ones.

I'm still within the return period for the PXC 550, so I am curious about whether the Studio3 might be a better option for me. :confused:

The Studio3 can get loud! On some songs a notch over 50% is too much for me. My range to listen to these would be 7-9/16 volume settings. I did try listening at ~75% as I would with other wireless headphones including the Momentum (I’ve never tried PXC 550) and while the bass was more impactful, it’s too loud for more than a few songs. You would have no issues listening to quieter recordings on Studio3.

Studio3 will be quite a bit warmer than the PXC 550 if that’s your taste. If you’re not completely satisfied with the PXC 550, I’d recommend either stepping up to the Momentum or the Studio3. Especially get the latter if you’re using an iPhone.

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #364 of 904
So far these look like they’re fitting into my hopes for them. A balanced warm sound that plays well with modern music, good ANC, W1 tech and all that jazz. It appears they have a better musical presentation than the Bose/Sony and that’s the main thing for me with an ANC set.

In terms of the bass, I’m mostly hoping that it extends nice and deep.

I’ll get my audiophile detail monster fix from the iSine, Quad Driver and ORA once it ships. I do expect the ORA to absolutely spank the competition because of the driver measurements.

MICHAELSD: if you want to look into jumping on board a new wireless audiophile hype train, there’s seating available at nearly half price on the ORA express :)

They’re certainly good for their segment, and if you’re not looking for super defined bass or a totally open soundstage then it’s a solid option.

I definitely trust your judgement on the ORA, but I’ll wait till it releases to get too excited as it’s still a pretty pricey proposition for unproven tech from a new company. The FR is impressive, but such a smooth treble might be fatiguing. Will keep tabs on the ORA for sure.

Edit: Also hoping to see new headphones from Audeze and V-MODA this holiday season. The iSine sounded spectacular but I’m not a fan of IEM’s in general. Audeze has ambitions to go wireless, maybe with the Sine or EL-8?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #365 of 904
They’re certainly good for their segment, and if you’re not looking for super defined bass or a totally open soundstage then it’s a solid option.

I definitely trust your judgement on the ORA, but I’ll wait till it releases to get too excited as it’s still a pretty pricey proposition for unproven tech from a new company. The FR is impressive, but such a smooth treble might be fatiguing. Will keep tabs on the ORA for sure.

Edit: Also hoping to see new headphones from Audeze and V-MODA this holiday season. The iSine sounded spectacular but I’m not a fan of IEM’s in general. Audeze has ambitions to go wireless, maybe with the Sine or EL-8?

So you’re saying the Studio doesn’t have a super defined bass? What do you mean? Like the speed, extension, exaggeration or something else?

I doubt we’ll see Wireless from Audeze until Bluetooth becomes lossless or close, as a standard in BT5.1 around 2018 sometime. Maybe late 2018 is my best educated guess. That’s when wireless audiophile options will really break out.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #366 of 904
So you’re saying the Studio doesn’t have a super defined bass? What do you mean? Like the speed, extension, exaggeration or something else?

I doubt we’ll see Wireless from Audeze until Bluetooth becomes lossless or close, as a standard in BT5.1 around 2018 sometime. Maybe late 2018 is my best educated guess. That’s when wireless audiophile options will really break out.

It's not the tightest bass presentation and bass can come across as slightly bloated at times. However, it's not muddy and it's well-extended though the sub-bass could use more presence.

You're probably right there, at this point Audeze will likely release their wireless headphones next holiday season when there are new Bluetooth codecs.

Separation is solid, but a narrow soundstage gives the music less of an out-of-the-head feeling than I'd like. One major compliment I can give is that the Studio3 is exceptionally clear for wireless ANC headphones. With music playing the ANC isn't noticeable, enough so that I don't even bother taking a second to disable it though I'd prefer to have it disabled by default to save battery life.

Studio3 have an isolating design to begin with so with ANC they are very isolating with audio playing. For people who need ANC and don't want their music to be affected negatively, Studio3 do a great job. Bose's chamber effect is impressive but affects the overall clarity.

Great consumer sound that I think people buying in a retail store will love, but there are a few flaws that don’t make them good enough to be considered audiophile-grade. Consumers will be blown away by the level of detail though. It’s mid-fidelity approaching audiophile quality. I expect for many people this will be their first pair of decent headphones and many will enjoy them, but it’s difficult to love them when you’ve heard better headphones as they don’t bring anything new to the table in terms of audio. If this is a first pair of Beats though even audiophiles might get roped into the brand and design.

I should also note that Apple/Beats has done the impossible yet again: Studio3 sounds better in wireless mode. Quality DAC and amp paired with the best Bluetooth in the industry. The only issues are the narrow soundstage that feels a bit claustrophobic and the bass lacks the timing and definition of a better-tuned headphone. If Apple paired this technology with a better over-ear headphone then it would’ve been the best wireless in the industry but it is still the best at its $350 price point.

Apple should buy Audeze and help them develop their wireless headphones. They’re already one of the few third-party brands other than Bose that Apple carries in their store so it isn’t a huge stretch. I expected more out of Beats but make no mistake that Studio3 is aimed at consumers and not audiophiles.

I'm going to make this thread a bit of a "living review" before I write my full review of the Studio3, but the biggest strengths of Studio3 are a) wireless quality b) isolation c) balanced sound. This may be an effect of the forward vocals, but I'm not sure I've ever heard a headphone with such a balanced signature suited for long-term listening. 50% is the perfect volume for these headphones, non-fatiguing, and isolating enough to not hear somebody speaking. Solo3 and Momentum I have to put a few notches higher to enjoy but Studio3 has a satisfying representation of all frequencies without one being overpowering -- vocals are as prominent as the bass if not more so, no mid scooping here. I wouldn't say neutral, but definitely balanced.

It sounds like the bass favors the mid and high bass with sub-bass lacking some definition but this adds some much-needed weight to some songs like Kendrick Lamar's "Humble." I prefer the presentation on the Solo3 and Momentum that provides a smooth, impactful low-end. Bass is present, but it lacks the impact and bass definition of those two headphones. The headphones become bass anemic with the bass reducer EQ in iTunes so it's obvious there's not a drastic bass boost - under 5dB, probably 2-3dB.

If I had to describe Studio3 in one word I'd say balance. Its greatest strength is that it's a wireless headphone with a sound signature you could listen to all-day comfortably. For that reason alone I may use the Studio3 more than I'd listen to the Momentum, so that gives it a fighting chance.

I'm actually quite impressed that 50% volume is what I'd consider "just right." (Even one notch higher is too much for me with the way mids are tuned.) I think somebody from Beats realized since they're wireless they can control the volume output/decibel level and decided to make 50% the ideal listening volume decibel-wise, then from that point on they get stupidly loud. Considering how loud the drivers can get I wish there was a dedicated bass boost tuning for the gym. These are more so balanced studio headphones than they are Beats :wink:. Still not for actual studio use though.

To give Studio3 a fair chance, I'll use them exclusively for the next week or two then return back to my other headphones and see how I feel. The narrow soundstage takes some getting used to but there is separation.

It's entirely possible in a week I'll prefer them to the Momentum, though I will admit Sennheiser utilized a fantastic driver in the Momentum so it's not likely.

Ironically the bass on the Momentum is more pronounced, better-extended, tighter, and more impactful -- really excellent quality of bass on the Momentum. Beats did a relatively poor job with the bass on these headphones in comparison. Meanwhile some details in the mids are more apparent on the Studio3 (vocals overall are better on the Momentum) and some instruments like horns and rhythm guitars come through better on the Studio3. Studio3 is also less fatiguing than the Momentum.

I want to believe my unit is defective as the sub-bass performance is lacking but I doubt that’s the case. I’d take the Solo3 or the Momentum’s bass performance over the Studio3 in terms of both quality and quantity.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #367 of 904
OK, just started playing with them and some very brief first impressions:
- The soundstage is a bit more open than I was expecting from the previous comments.
- I'm not totally sold on the sound yet but have noticed them improving since turning them on about an hour ago. At first, the bass was a bit loose and undefined. It's begun to tighten up. Perhaps some burn-in is in order. I've set them up to burn in for a while and will return with more impressions after they've had a chance to breathe.
- The comfort and ANC are really standouts for me.
- I did have a very musical moment where they gave me a bit of chills.

Anyway, I've ordered the Bowers and Wilkins PX to compare and will keep 1 from the shootout. Probably. The B&W was in stock with Amazon and had free 1 day delivery, so it arrives tomorrow.

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #369 of 904
@AlwaysForward Which song gave you chills on the Studio3? It’s a sculpted signature so I can definitely see some songs sounding different on it.

Curious on your impressions vs the PX. I’m considering jumping ship to B&W as well.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #370 of 904
@AlwaysForward Which song gave you chills on the Studio3? It’s a sculpted signature so I can definitely see some songs sounding different on it.

Curious on your impressions vs the PX. I’m considering jumping ship to B&W as well.

So I don't think it was a song that gave me chills. I think it was turning off the ANC. I'm playing them right now with the ANC off and holy crap do they sound GREAT with modern music. Like you, I felt the Solo3 was a surprisingly fun and well tuned set for modern music. I think when you turn the ANC off, you get a lot more of that full flavor. You can definitely tell cancelling sound frequencies are introduced during ANC but I imagine this is standard for all ANC sets. I think between the Beats and B&W, I'll be listening for which sound I prefer with ANC off and then looking at ANC performance from there.

With all that said, the sound of them with the ANC off is flat out FUN.The bass extends very low and is tighter than with ANC on. The mids come forward and the highs increase in coherency + presentation. It's too bad that these don't default to ANC-Off but I understand why, from a business/marketing perspective.

I think anyone on this forum who's playing with these needs to give them a serious listen without any ANC. It's great to know that it's there when you want/need it. I think the B&W owners seem to have similar impressions where they prefer it off, for SQ and then turn it on depending on the environment.

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #371 of 904
My pair arrived yesterday and today I'm using them on the underground for the first time. Very promising so far, ANC works fine without the overreactions both the pxc 550 and the mdr 1000 showed (the thump when the doors close is much more controlled than with the pxc and it does not try to kill me while failing to cancel out my own steps like the SONY did). Canceling wind noises works fine, within less than 1sec. Still I would much prefer the ANC settings to survive power cycles (I.e. stay off after off/on).

Sound signature is OK. Not ans muffled as the Solo3, but a dip in the upper mids / lower treble (which makes them relaxing), missing a bit control in the bass (have yet to try without ANC). Voices are present, overall quite musical and nice for modern music, especially on the go.

Bluetooth connection is stable, as expected. Works with my AK380 as well, but does not stay connected to both the iPhone and the AK like my CF2 does. Comfort seems fine so far.

The case is much too big and I can't see myself using it much. The CF2 also folds much smaller and does not look as fragile.

While I could not imagine using the Solo3 for anything longer than simply trying it out, I think I'll keep the Studio3 for mobile use. It's not a high end headphone, but neither is it meant to be. Apple did what it does well: work on the details that matter much in everyday usage, while offering good (but not exceptional) sound quality. I don't think they would not be able to, but it's simply not their focus. Nevermind -- first Beats labeled product I let myself be seen with in public :wink:

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #372 of 904
My pair arrived yesterday and today I'm using them on the underground for the first time. Very promising so far, ANC works fine without the overreactions both the pxc 550 and the mdr 1000 showed (the thump when the doors close is much more controlled than with the pxc and it does not try to kill me while failing to cancel out my own steps like the SONY did). Canceling wind noises works fine, within less than 1sec. Still I would much prefer the ANC settings to survive power cycles (I.e. stay off after off/on).

Sound signature is OK. Not ans muffled as the Solo3, but a dip in the upper mids / lower treble (which makes them relaxing), missing a bit control in the bass (have yet to try without ANC). Voices are present, overall quite musical and nice for modern music, especially on the go.

Bluetooth connection is stable, as expected. Works with my AK380 as well, but does not stay connected to both the iPhone and the AK like my CF2 does. Comfort seems fine so far.

The case is much too big and I can't see myself using it much. The CF2 also folds much smaller and does not look as fragile.

While I could not imagine using the Solo3 for anything longer than simply trying it out, I think I'll keep the Studio3 for mobile use. It's not a high end headphone, but neither is it meant to be. Apple did what it does well: work on the details that matter much in everyday usage, while offering good (but not exceptional) sound quality. I don't think they would not be able to, but it's simply not their focus. Nevermind -- first Beats labeled product I let myself be seen with in public :wink:

Would love you’re thoughts on how these stack up against the CF2 when ANC is off.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #373 of 904
My local Apple store had the Studio3 even after the website said otherwise. I would recommend anyone that wants them to just walk into their Apple store and check to see if they have them. I bought it in Shadow Grey.

A little about me. For the past year I’ve been using the Solo 3. Before that my daily headphone was the Oppo PM-3. I wanted to get a wireless headphone, and I’m very particular about the fit of them. I’ve always found Bowers and Wilkins offerings to be very uncomfortable. The Solo3 was very light weight (and comfortable to me), sounded really good (for an on ear headphone), and excelled in areas that Bluetooth headphones should in (battery life, connectivity.) So basically I took a hit on sound quality for more of a daily driver type of headphone. And I loved it.

Every year it seems I have to reassess my headphone situation and this year was no different. I wanted something with comfort, and to be better sounding than the Solo3.

Enter Studio3.

When taking them out of the box I felt they looked incredibly premium. The Smokey grey color with the gold accents looks really stunning.

On my head it felt like an extra large solo. The pads are “around the year” but feel more like Solo’s on the head. This is fine with me. I actually like how the solo felt on the ears, this just wraps around the ear. I tend to wear my headphones further back on my head I’m trying to wear them further up so the ear cups are seated more properly.

The sound quality was very good. A fairly balanced headphone that reveals details in the presentation. The seperation between the instruments is ok, I think due to the design of the pads it constrains the soundstage a bit. I really like the treble on these-cymbals sounds good, and the bass sounds good when the track calls for it. Doesn’t muck it up otherwise. It does sound like Solo 3’s refined brother. While I haven’t A/B tested it against the SOLO- these are Beats most balanced headphone yet.

Someone mentioned earlier that these are the middle ground between the solo and the momentum. And while I haven’t tried the momentum, I would say these are the middle ground between the Solo3 and a audiophile headphone (like the Oppo PM-3.) Leaning a little more towards the Solo3 because of the constrained soundstage. Not a deal breaker though.

ANC works fine, though I won’t use it most of the time. Wish it was off by default. Maybe in a firmware update they’ll change that.

Overall pretty happy. Can’t wait to keep listening. Like I said my biggest thing was comfort (lightness) and better sound quality than the SOLO3’s and these seem to check those boxes so far!

Anyone have any more to add to these VS the QC35??

Additional edit: Sometimes I found Bowers and Wilkins headphones or OPPO’s to be almost TOO revealing. Sounded great on well recorded albums but with lo-fi music it sounded dreadful. Must be because they are reference quality. I stream on Apple Music, and listen to some music that isn’t recorded as well as say dark side of the moon lol.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #374 of 904
Been lurking and logged in to post about my Studio 3's. Got a pair of matte black from my local Apple Store yesterday. Been looking for a decent set of wireless over ear headphones for a while and the inclusion of the W1 chip really sold me here. I've only ever had one pair of ANC headphones and they weren't great, so I can't speak to how well these work in comparison to others in the space, but I'm enjoying that aspect.

I was quite a bit surprised by the lack of bass in the Studio 3's as compared to my B&O H6. I knew they wouldn't have the same sound stage and depth to the sound, but I figured they would have the same if not more low/sub bass. Surprisingly, the H6 have quite a bit more in this regard. Enough so I've wondered if I have a defective pair.

Another thing I've noticed as I've worn them all morning is that my ears touch the inside of the headphone, which has never happened with other sets (B&O H6, ATH-M50, a few others I've tried). It's not uncomfortable, it's just different and something I've noticed a few times throughout the day so far.

Has anyone else had either of those experiences with their Studio 3's?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #375 of 904
Been lurking and logged in to post about my Studio 3's. Got a pair of matte black from my local Apple Store yesterday. Been looking for a decent set of wireless over ear headphones for a while and the inclusion of the W1 chip really sold me here. I've only ever had one pair of ANC headphones and they weren't great, so I can't speak to how well these work in comparison to others in the space, but I'm enjoying that aspect.

I was quite a bit surprised by the lack of bass in the Studio 3's as compared to my B&O H6. I knew they wouldn't have the same sound stage and depth to the sound, but I figured they would have the same if not more low/sub bass. Surprisingly, the H6 have quite a bit more in this regard. Enough so I've wondered if I have a defective pair.

Another thing I've noticed as I've worn them all morning is that my ears touch the inside of the headphone, which has never happened with other sets (B&O H6, ATH-M50, a few others I've tried). It's not uncomfortable, it's just different and something I've noticed a few times throughout the day so far.

Has anyone else had either of those experiences with their Studio 3's?

With regards to the bass, I do feel these are more subdued than the SOLO 2, but relative to the other frequency’s I find the bass to be pretty neutral/ if elevated ever so slightly. I played “dna” by Kendrick Lamar and it still rattled my head around quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back