Beats Solo HD serious question!
Jun 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Waiteyus

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and am looking for a little bit of advice.
I have recently started getting into higher quality audio, having always used standard earbuds that have come with whatever mp3 device i used. Within the last few weeks i have purchased Monster beats tours and also the Klipsch image s4i. I have to say i have been impressed by both IEM's but am obviously no expert in he field. Out of the two i do prefer the sound of the tours, they sound a bit more "full" to my ears.
I am now looking for a pair of portable on ear phones for use while travelling to and from work and general out and about activity.
Having read through many threads on here about he Solo Hd's there seems to be a fair amount of criticism which mainly revolves around the price, so to pre face that argument let me say i can currently get Solo Hd's for £100 brand new so considerably cheaper than the normal retail price.
Now to the reason i am considering these headphones after reading through the many threads berating them.  I want headphones that sound good first of all, (i have tried the Hd's several times and imo they are better than given credit for), are portable ie can be folded away, if posible look good (not necessary would just be a bonus), and lastly, and this is a must, have a built in mic, volume control and track control.
Having looked around i am hard presssed to find a suitable alternative that satisfy the criteria i want in hedphones.
Any advice from the Head-Fi community would be appreciated.

Rgds

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and am looking for a little bit of advice.
I have recently started getting into higher quality audio, having always used standard earbuds that have come with whatever mp3 device i used. Within the last few weeks i have purchased Monster beats tours and also the Klipsch image s4i. I have to say i have been impressed by both IEM's but am obviously no expert in he field. Out of the two i do prefer the sound of the tours, they sound a bit more "full" to my ears.
I am now looking for a pair of portable on ear phones for use while travelling to and from work and general out and about activity.
Having read through many threads on here about he Solo Hd's there seems to be a fair amount of criticism which mainly revolves around the price, so to pre face that argument let me say i can currently get Solo Hd's for £100 brand new so considerably cheaper than the normal retail price.
Now to the reason i am considering these headphones after reading through the many threads berating them.  I want headphones that sound good first of all, (i have tried the Hd's several times and imo they are better than given credit for), are portable ie can be folded away, if posible look good (not necessary would just be a bonus), and lastly, and this is a must, have a built in mic, volume control and track control.
Having looked around i am hard presssed to find a suitable alternative that satisfy the criteria i want in hedphones.
Any advice from the Head-Fi community would be appreciated.

Rgds

Get the Audio Technica M50's.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 11
From my experience with the Solo HD, they are very fragile, feels cheap, and sound wasn't that great but looked really dope. I read TMA-1s are pretty good and portable, it also comes with the built in remote.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
From my experience with the Solo HD, they are very fragile, feels cheap, and sound wasn't that great but looked really dope. I read TMA-1s are pretty good and portable, it also comes with the built in remote.

Thanks for the suggestion, have been reading some reviews on these, and whilst they are favourable, apparently they do not come with a built in mic/volume/track control which is one of the main features i do want in a headphone for portable use.
Will consider these for home use though.
Any other suggestions would be wecome

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, have been reading some reviews on these, and whilst they are favourable, apparently they do not come with a built in mic/volume/track control which is one of the main features i do want in a headphone for portable use.
Will consider these for home use though.
Any other suggestions would be wecome

http://www.aiaiai.dk/headphones-w-mic/tma-1.html
It says it does come with mic/remote according to their website. Maybe it's new?

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey I own the Beats by Dr. Dre Solo HD in red and I am embarrassed to say I own them. I MUCH prefer the Sony MDR-V6's (Cost $64.95 brand new at Amazon) and try a Sennheiser HD 595.
Also make sure if you are getting them for 100 Euros that they are REAL not fake, because they retail for 249 Euros on beatsbydre.com .

Hope my opinion helps, Thomas

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 11
I suggest looking into Phiaton MS300.  It seems they are as portable as the Beats.  They even look alike(color-scheme wise) but the Phiaton has better materials such as carbon fiber ear cups and real leather ear muffs.  My next headphone will be its big brother the MS400.  From the reviews(here and Amazon's) they seem to have a lot of bass.

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 11
The Solo, for lack of a better word, sounds like a travesty. If money was absolutely not an object then one of the more expensive beats (I don't care enough to remember which) actually doesn't sound utterly horrible, but the Solo has no redeeming values.

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
http://www.aiaiai.dk/headphones-w-mic/tma-1.html
It says it does come with mic/remote according to their website. Maybe it's new?

Thanks a lot. These are available from the apple store with mic/ipod controls. My only slight issue is the portability, these dont fold or collapse in any way. Other than that by all accounts these seem like very good phones, will be seriously considering these.
Thanks for the recommendation

Quote:
The Solo, for lack of a better word, sounds like a travesty. If money was absolutely not an object then one of the more expensive beats (I don't care enough to remember which) actually doesn't sound utterly horrible, but the Solo has no redeeming values.

Thanks. Money is not an issue really i will be happy to spent whatever is needed to get what i want. The criteria i laid out in my OP is specific though.(Sound/portability/mic/track and volume control/looks(if possible))

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 11
Beats are OK for style, but if what you really want is sound quality, there are alot of other headphones to buy, for much less money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back