Beats by Dr. Dre Tour Might Have Potential!
Jun 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Boombastic88

Head-Fier
Many times before I have said that all of the Beats by Dr. Dre headphones are way overpriced and not worth even trying. I still hold to this belief but after receiving my replacement pair from Monster, I think that the Tours might be the only Beats headphones with potential. Back when I was caught in all the hype about Beats, I saved up and bought the Tour in ear headphones, as they were the only ones I could afford. I thought that they were the best in ears that existed and felt sorry for people not using them(crazy, I know). As time went on, I got to try different brands and got introduced to the world of high-end audio. But by this time, my Beats had started to deteriorate and lose their original sound quality, so I couldn't compare them to some higher end products. Yesterday, I recieved my replacement pair of Tours from Monster and I decided to give them a listen with my newly-aquired knowledge on good sound. I noticed that while the Tours overall aren't very satisfying for the price paid, they actually do some technical things very well, maybe even better than some much more expensive products. The sound of the Tours is very punchy and aggressive and, if the sound signature was tweaked, would be very pleasing to listen to. Drums would have that punch and attack that you don't usually hear in other headphones and guitars would sound nice and aggresive. Keep in mind, I'm saying "would" because for these things to happen, I think the sound signature would have to be changed. Detail and seperation on the Tours is actually quite impressive. Things sound nice and airy when they should and, most of the time, instruments are where they should be. The thing that really impressed me on the Tours was their ability to reproduce dyamic changes in music. Too many headphones that are available sound too flat and boring, making music lose it's emotional power. The Tours don't let the music lose the dynamics and keep you emotionally involved in the music all the time. Now for all of the things that the Tours do well to work, Monster would have to re-work the sounds signature a lot. The unequalized sound of the Tours is harsh with overly-powerful sub bass and extremely recessed mids. Basically, it's the picture perfect V-shaped sound signature. In my opinion, all of this can be changed by simply re-designing the housing. The long tube carrying the sound from the driver to your ear is very long. This is most likely the reason behind the amount of bass from the headphones. The length of the tube gives the low frequencies more room to reverberate, thus giving them more volume. The long tube also can be the cause of the distorted and harsh highs as well. When the high frequences are carried a long way, they can become muddy and distorted. The mids I think can be fixed by changing the size of the sound tube and correctly damping the driver. So the Tours, in my opinion, have a lot of potential. It's just a matter of designing the headphones to get full use out of it.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 3
Perhaps, but you have to keep in mind that the Beats range were produced and marketed to those consumers who look for large amounts of bass in their headphones. It's not like Monster doesn't know how to properly design their products.

Also keep in mind at the same time these consumers are either unconcerned with how good the mids and treble are or are just oblivious to the fact the bass isn't all about the car subwoofer like 'doof doof' sound we get from bloated and muddy sounding bass like that of the Beats range.

They have no reason to change it, the Tours still sell like crazy and people still think they are the best thing ever.

And yes, I did manage to read through that giant wall of text.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 3
Haha thanks for reading. I agree with everything you said. But I think we all wish that more people were concerned about their sound. Only in a head-fier's perfect world, I guess.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back