Beats by Dr Dre president on origins, bass and music piracy. :) LOL simply LOL
Sep 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gikigill

Headphoneus Supremus
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/accessories/beats-by-dr-dre-president-on-origins-bass-and-music-piracy-50009068/

The President of the Beats audio on how piracy has affected business and other ******** about compression.

I understand we have beaten this dead horse but read the article with no liquids around you just in case.

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 7
This is truly one of the most disgusting, inane things that I have ever read.

" They're actually not far off, because we're trying to recreate what we hear in the studio"

I died a little on the inside from that.

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 7
"The truth is that there's a tremendous amount of melodic information in the bottom end, that did not use to exist before digital recording. And it really changed with samples and digital recording."

Makes me wonder how old he is. I am 28 BTW for comparisons sake.

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 7
born yesterday probably, needs some diapers to stuff in his mouth full of rubbish

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 7
That article gave me a good chuckle.

It's no surprise music sounds like crap now. "there's a tremendous amount of melodic information in the bottom end, that did not use to exist before digital recording. And it really changed with samples and digital recording." Yeah....right...like 40cps magically appeared after digital was invented. What a crapload of $hit....then again...it's the same people who publish stuff by Steve Guttenberg.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 7
"First and foremost, music's subjective," Luke says. "What's a hit to you is garbage to somebody else."

"We just look at it differently, we think it's okay to have a point of view,"

Yup. Here's a great example of the old "everything is subjective" line used as an excuse to peddle crap. And here I was thinking that, when I was rabbiting on about this for years now, I may have been wrong all along.

Thank you, Mr. Luke Wood, for proving me right. Now I feel much better about myself, and will feel even more justified in bemoaning the state of the industry and making tons of nonsensical posts that nobody will ever read. So, let me get on with just that:

We need more standards in headphone audio. The old "if you like it, it's good" line has to stop. People like lots of crap. They're wrong. And the social acceptance of that has real consequences in the industry. Consequences for the worse, and here's proof.

Of course this is not a call to gravitate to the other extreme, to sum up sound in a few measurements and ignore all the complexities and actual realities of designing audio gear. Rather, we should support people that are actively moving the industry in the direction we want to see. Support Tyll, support Purrin, support the people that are trying - really trying - to establish some standards and make a difference for the better. Of course, at this point, I would also say "support the companies that make the products you want to see succeed" but hey, that would make me a shill, wouldn't it?

Well, I'm off to buy some more electrostatics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back