Beats and Sennheisers
Nov 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ThomasH

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of HD 280 Sennheiser cans, and I have loved them for a very long time. However, I just picked up a pair of Beats Studios for an extremely low price, and was happy to do so for what I invested in them. I would never have paid the full $300 price tag. My question is, after first look, even without burning the beats in or driving them, The sound seemed a lot fuller than the 280s. What's weird is, the 280s were my full phone for a very long time. Are the beats tricking me? Now, granted, they don't sound great, and especially at higher than 70% volume turn to trash, but for the casual listening and the easy portability (which is not the case of the 280s), I think they were worth it. My question is, because both the 280 and studios are "closed" and have pretty decent sound attentuation, do I turn my eyes to an amp to drive either of these 'phones? Or jsut go get a pair of 650s like was the original plan.

Thanks in advance. I

I'm also not completely sure I buy into the whole stereotype of beats sucking completely. I have a pretty good ear, and maybe since I didn't spend all that much on them I'm biased, but I think I got what I paid for.

As an afterthought, would the audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones + comparable amp be better in the long run than 650s?

and as a final afterthought, is http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E7-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003E6K1VK/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b even worth it as an amp?

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 6
It's probably due to the 280s having a neutral (flat) frequency response and the beats having a bass boost would make it sound "fuller."

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Yea, but I realize taht after a long time of listening to the beats, my head just hurts. The flatness of the 280s allows for a lot longer of listening time.

Yes thats a reason why many like the Sennhesier sound signature; very laid back, easy on the ears, and great dynamic comfort listening.

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 6
yup love my hd 650s more than any other headphone in the long run.

would never sell/trade them.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 6

I'm also not completely sure I buy into the whole stereotype of beats sucking completely. I have a pretty good ear, and maybe since I didn't spend all that much on them I'm biased, but I think I got what I paid for.

They don't suck, the sound just doesn't justify the price. If you managed to get it for much cheaper, then they could be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back